Bulino??

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Okay, here's another one. I haven't had a go at this since my last rant. In that there were several suggestions to try hammer and chisel style and someone suggested I give a go at some bulino engraving since, after a rather long dry spell (several years) I'm back to scrimming again. All right then -- I've been doing some hammer and chisel work and it goes much better than hand pushing -- I like the feel of using the hammer and longer graver. I'm using a 90 with a 15 degree heel and it seems to work fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now for the bulino part. I have been all over the net, forums, google, my Italian relatives and am waiting on Chris Decamillis' cd on bulino carving. My question and head scratching curiosity is this: With bulino, I have seen so many stunning renditions that are nothing short of amazing. The pics reveal a photo quality view of the work presented. In my attempts at bulino the piece does not look like a drawing -- it looks like a bright sparkling barely noticible picture unless I tilt it and catch the "sweet" spot and then it shows up and I can see the variations in shade and texture. Is this the way it's supposed to be or am I missing out on something here? I'm hoping Chris' cd can clear this up for me. What can any of you tell me that might help me make sense out of this? Thank again, in advance, for everything. I really appreciate this forum and the time and expertise you all put into this.

S~

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Santo, you've hit the nail on the head! This is one of the problems with 'true' bulino work. It is so fine that unless you fine that sweet spot you sometimes just can't see it! It looks great in photographs because the lighting set up is just right. I once got it into my head to compete with the Italians and I bulino engraved a running lion on the side of a double rifle and it looked great. The gunmaker rejected it! They told me to go away and cut it deeper because they couldn't see it and they didn't want something so fine on a working rifle. Likewise on the Purdey stand at the CLA Game Fair this year there was a beautifully bulinoed game scene shotgun but unless you stood in just the right spot you just couldn't see it!!!

I've now gone to using what I call 'semi-bulino' and instead of using dots it uses small lines. Also I've started experimenting with stipple engraving. With this technique it's imperative that between stipples you scrape away any bur that's thrown up. If you don't do this a) it will collect all the dirt and crud that gets rubbed into it and b) because it's proud of the surface eventually any wear will be highlighted and it will show bright instead of dark. So time wise, if done correctly, it isn't really any quicker than bulino engraving. Hopefully in a day or two I'll photograph the gun I've just finished and post it. I think the style competes admirably with bulino but, in my view, it has the advantage of being able to be seen from various angles.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I absolutely love the bulino style of engraving. I agree with you Marcus on the need for finding the sweet spot to fully appreciate the beauty of the engraving. This is also true when one observes a beautiful diamond. Perhaps this is also true of a great painting.
I guess you can tell I'm trying to defend bulino engraving. When I'm doing bulino work as taught by Chris D. much of the work is by removing tiny triangles of metal. Grass is done by cutting as are clouds. Is this what you are talking about Marcus when you say your doing a modified bulino? I'm very interested in more detail of your bulino work.

Thanks, Glenn

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah Mr. marcus, you hit the nail on the head. I changed to what you are doing a few years back as most of my clients are using these pieces. There is a group of collectors that require the detail the Italians do but I never hear from them. I still use a little bit of stippling but it usually only used around the eyes and to creat shadows. I also found that by flating the tip of your needle just the slightest amount and pressing "straight down" allows the indents to be easier seen without much edge lift. FWIW, Ken

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Marcus, you've, once again, helped me understand. I thought I had if figured out but there is always that doubt. That's why I appreciate this forum.

When talk about stipple what are you using to do this? Round or angled graver? Power or hand graver? I am curious and would like to know more. I like Bulino, and I enjoy the thought of carrying on my country mens (the Italians) tradition. But, I would like to have a finished that is more durable and better seen. Thanks again for the support and information.

Santo

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bulino

Santo..Here is an example of the way I work with a hand engraver. My favorite chisels whether hand tools, hammer and chisel or power assist is the onglette. As far as Bulino is concerned it is very time consuming. I wouldn't think it would hold up over time in firearm that is going to be used in the field. Hope this will give you a better direction. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Attachments

• jj.elephant.practiceplate.closeup.JPG
    jj.elephant.practiceplate.closeup.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 120
  • jj.elephant.practiceplate.JPG
    jj.elephant.practiceplate.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 125