Gmail is great

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I just discovered that I can setup Gmail to send and receive from my regular non-Gmail email account. This makes my email considerablly faster easier.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OoooH Gooooogle mail.........heard all sorts of nasty things about it....nothing will ever be deleted so whats to stop the authorities one day going through all sorts of things that could be private. Big Brother is watching us here in England and you Yanks even have a listening station over here that can eves drop telephone/radio comms. I for one don't even want the posibility of someone in power siezing email, and going through what could be private stuff, for our own good. Why/what does GMail want to store all this stuff for anyway???? Spooky!

Abigail

Administrator
I wonder when is that last time any of you..or me..has hand written a letter. I'm talking about the kind that you have to put a stamp on and walk outside and put it in the mailbox out by the road. I think it is now known as "snail mail".
I think I miss that.
Cheers,
Abigail

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I miss it too. My dad wrote me a letter every day I was in college. A new letter every time I went to my mailbox for 4 years. It wasn't all that exciting and it didn't contian the secrets of the universe, but it was a part of home every day.

Sam

Staff member
Marucs: If Big Brother snooped into my private email he'd be bored to tears in very short order.
As for Gmail, like any other web-based email service, you can delete at will or keep forever. Since I never actually download email to my computer (I read it online only), I like the great features and space gmail offers. The price ain't bad either!

Abigail's a good letter writer. So is Winston. Me, I type 'em and print 'em. I ain't got no class. / ~Sam

Abigail

Administrator
I have all of the letters my dad wrote to his mom when he was in World War II. I don't know how many I have, but there are stacks and stacks of them. He was 18, I think when he went in. It's a great bit of history. The letter 'style' was completely different from what it is today. The letters were almost 'formal' in a way. He'd write things like "My Dearest Mother"...or "Give my love to my darling sisters".
I can't imagine one of my children writing that way. It would be more like "Whats up, Mom?" or "Smack my little brother in the back of the head for me".:p
Cheers
Abigail

Abigail

Administrator
Well Sam, I think you just said that my emails to you are boring. Humph. :mad: I personally think Big Brother wouldnt be able to stop reading.;)

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can just see you Sam and Abby, sitting across the room from each other, just typing away.

But yea, letter writing is a lost art. The thing about the computer is we can so easily edit, to make a more normal speech, whearas before, you wrote what came naturally and did'nt go back and erase much unless it was an obvious mistake.

Sam

Staff member
Well Sam, I think you just said that my emails to you are boring. Humph. :mad: I personally think Big Brother wouldnt be able to stop reading.;)

I HIDE all my loveletter emails where even Big Brother can't find 'em!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You've convinced me Sam. I wonder though what the future will hold for the human race? Think how many letters written in the past have been kept and have great historical value....Horatio Nelson and Emma Hamilton...Edward and Mrs Simpson....Churchill's letters. Electronic mail deletes at the press of a button. Unless someone prints the email a lot of really interesting stuff could be lost to future generations. Imagine 99% of the human race were wiped out tomorrow, in 10,000 years time what would archeologists find....a few gold and silver coins, perhaps some bronze, some ceramics and, if its been properly stored, some archive quality papers. Probably not a lot else. Virtually everything else about 21st century man would have disappeared, they'd probably know more about the ancient Egyptians than us! Now there's a thought......

Gilly, my wife, has recently gotten hold of some of her late fathers old diaries and is going through them and what interesting reading some of it is. I think it would be a great shame if we lost the written word all together. I'm with you Abi, getting a real letter is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Technology is really taking the "class" out of communication. My daughter and her husband work from home, she upstairs and he downstairs, and, believe it or not, instead of calling to each other, they IM their messages to each other! Ms Mary and I just shout from the stairway, much more intimate!