Tiny grinding wheel

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a way to get some small carbide grinding wheels free. Ask people to give you their empty disposable lighters. Remove the flint wheel by prying off the metal front and then just pull it out. Knock out the shaft and put it on a dremel tool. These things really cut. Good for wood carving, background removal, and I am sure jewelers could find a lot of use for them. Of course you always want to wear safety glasses when grinding.

Attachments

• Lighters.jpg
    Lighters.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Lighter wheel.jpg
    Lighter wheel.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Lighter wheel 2.jpg
    Lighter wheel 2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 121

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pretty slick Mack. I take my empty lighters apart to salvage the flint and long spring. I hadn't thought of a use for the wheel. I'm not sure they are the same on Bic lighters. I'll have to check it out next time.

Thanks,
Peter

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
has sam made you our forum tool man yet ? he better get on the stick !

monk

Staff member
mack, you aint gonna outdo me just yet. here's a buckle masher from a junkyard "c" clamp & a piece of 2" steel i torched to shape. i've made well over a thousand buckles with this pig ! shown are 2 that were mashed with this monster.

Attachments

• BCKL MASHER.JPG
    BCKL MASHER.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 81
  • BCKL.JPG
    BCKL.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 73
  • BCKL1.JPG
    BCKL1.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I am ROTFLMAO. You are a funny guy.! I have cut out a couple of buckles and wondered how I was gonna shape them. Now I know. That is a great idea and I am going to make one this week.

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Well Monk, I suspect you are older than Mack. Remembering that Chasing Hammer made from an engine Valve, along with this Buckle Press, I would say that you are the orginal Poor Boy "Getter Done Guy".

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
DON'T FORGET! Monk is the guy that solved my transfer problems. I would have never figured it out. I almost pulled out the last two hairs I have on my head.

monk

Staff member
mack, if you use my masher idea, you owe me 23 cents ! i own the rights to this, you know ! don't be dumb like me, use a block of very hard wood or maybe nylon. i just used steel cause it was handy at the time.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I have some Hickory I made my fireplace mantle out of that will work nicely. I will pay the $ .23 cents. Don't want to get into trouble.

Latest posts

Sponsors