Tilted vise

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I was having a lot of back and neck pain from engraving due to the fact that I have had surgery on my lower back and neck and have pins and screws in both places. Bending over my vise became un- bearable after just a short while. To remedy this I put the pipe for the potters wheel in at an angle and now it works much better for me. Back to cutting. YAY !!!!

Attachments

• Engraving bench slant.jpg
    Engraving bench slant.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 181
Good job, Mack! Have you ever asked yourself why didn't I think of that first before I did all that other work? Mike

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
M.J.,Actually I saw one on here right after I built mine one of the old timers has. (No offense meant.) You are right though. I thought "dang, I should have done that". This is all temperary though. I plan to build a much nicer bench later.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if memory serves me, i think roger bleile mentioned in his book, " american engravers ", about a gentleman who used a foot operated ball vise back then. the name "bebbe" comes to mind, but i'm really not sure.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mack, my foot pedal vise is at an angle and I think I sent you plans of it when you first got on here and mentioned your handicap.
It is much more comfortable to cut with H&C with the work tilted towards you as you have vision of the cut without having to be over the top of it.
Best regards, John B.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
That's right John, You are the one who gave me the idea for sure. Just didn't realise yours was at an angle.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
A chin or forehead rest helps too with neck pain.I often place a tennis ball under my chin to rest my neck.

Latest posts

Sponsors