Question: How did they do this?

deedubbya

I was given a mirror and make up covers to clean up, the engraving is really quite unique most of it is raised even though there is no visible telegraphing on the reverse side. The letters in the mirror are raised with a slight stipple texture between the characters and the raised scroll pattern surrounding them. On the lids the engraving looks like traditional hand engraving but once more the scroll is raised and the back side is virtually smooth. I'm baffled as to how and would like to know or at least get opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_6042.jpg
    IMG_6042.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 260
  • CUmirror.jpg
    CUmirror.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_6033.jpg
    IMG_6033.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_6039.jpg
    IMG_6039.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 215

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
roger is correct. if you put these images on screen and enlarge a bit, looking at the edges, you see typical erosion caused by the acid process. also the design bears the "look" of acid etching done years ago on metal grooming products commonly used in the home. this technique was also very common on windows. hydroflouric acid was flowed over hand made as well as mass produced stencils. many of these windows were quite fancy to the eye.
years ago i recreated such a window using sandblasting and a dentist drill. the client gave me the orriginal window, all 298 pieces in a cardboard box ! the fotos are shots of 2 very bad polaroids of that window in progress.

Attachments

• GLASSX.JPG
    GLASSX.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 185
  • WORKINX.jpg
    WORKINX.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk,

Could it possibly be a producion item stamped from an engraved steel die, and the individual initial part etched for the buyer?

The design quality is good, and usually a master plate will be well conceived and well executed. Engraved steel masters stamoed into silver will give an embossed design??

Rod

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
many were stamped from very high quality dies and given a bit of "glitter" post production by engravers who would add a bit of bright work here and there on the stuff. some pieces never became embellished by hand at all. such work demanded somewhat higher prices i suppose.

Latest posts

Sponsors