Acanthus leaf (Bereklauw in Dutch)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well finally I have Ron Smith's books. I ordered just before Christmas "Ron Smith Study Kit with books" including two books, some practice plates with pattern and a Buck knife.

I stopped making scroll designs because I realised I first had to understand more about scroll design.
That is of course why I ordered these books.
I have started with the first book, the advanced one is for later.

But what is not in Ron's books and I thought it would be important, is what kind of leaf is drawn.
Some years ago I did a course "Art History" and learned that a lot of ornaments are based on the Acanthus leaf. It where the Greeks that used this decoration at first.
I know not all engraving patterns are based on the Acanthus leaf, there is also the oak, wine ranks, ivy, lotus and probably some more.

Of course Ron explains the drawing of scrolls very clearly, even for someone as me who is not used to speak English.

But I think it is very useful to know what kind of leaf we try to use as a decoration.
And since I started engraving, I realised the whole world is full of decorations based on the Acanthus leaf.

Or am I totally wrong about the leaf? and are the scroll designs, the way engravers use them just fiction?

Here are some illustrations about the Acanthus leaf

arnaud

Attachments

• Acanthus_mollis_02_by_Line1.jpg
    Acanthus_mollis_02_by_Line1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 117123.jpg
    117123.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 800px-Acanthusblad,_Nordisk_familjebok.png
    800px-Acanthusblad,_Nordisk_familjebok.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 288-1a51c2b4d7321a21235edfc92e77f279.jpg
    288-1a51c2b4d7321a21235edfc92e77f279.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 170
  • acanthuslodxiv.jpg
    acanthuslodxiv.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 181

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
It doesn't resemble the scroll leaves I see very much. It looks a lot like some of our species of oak leaf. I ran across this in some of my woodcarving books.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Arnaud: This is an interesting and valuable subject. Thanks for bringing it up.

Scroll design is a stylized version of the traditional acanthus leaf. Over the centuries it has changed into what it is today, and to the point that it becomes as unique as a person's handwriting. But its roots go back to the classic acanthus designs of the ancient Greeks. The photos you provide are excellent examples, and you don't have to go far to find the best there is in Europe.

For more examples please refer to ACANTHUS LEAVES contributed by Walter S. Arnold in the Tips Archive. Walter is a stone carver and is very knowledgeable on the subject.

I have a few examples of sculpted acanthus that I use for teaching purposes. They are cheap plastic reproductions of classic designs from which molds were taken. I find them occasionally in antique shops and flea markets. The majority I find I would consider poorly designed, but once in awhile I find some masterpieces. Diligent study of acanthus designs is guaranteed to make us all better artists.

~Sam

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have seen some of the most beautiful acanthus leaf carving on the fences of Belgian made side by side shotguns. It must be a tradition with Belgian gun engravers. Perhaps one of our Belgian gun engravers here can comment on this or show an example.

CRB

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam for the confirmation that I was not wrong.

Mack, indeed your wood cutting was probably also based on this Acanthus leaf.

Roger, there is RolandBaptiste in this Café who is the best Belgium engraver I know. He lives in the neighbourhood of the Belgium Arm factories like FN Browning. He could tell you perhaps more on this.

On this website is a lot of information about the symbols we use, although it is in Dutch it shows beautiful architecture. The site is about hooglichten witch means the glass above the main door.
http://www.bovenlichten.net/id76.html
In the Netherlands architecture they where decorated with symbols that referred to the occupation of the people that lived there. And it is very similar to engraving.

I also think that the way you engrave in de US is an own style that has its basics in the "old world"
But here in Europe we don't see much objects of the "American" engravers There is the English Scroll that, but England isn't the continent as well. :)

The last example is based on the Lotus

arnaud

Attachments

• dsc02764middelburg-kl.jpg
    dsc02764middelburg-kl.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 80
  • dsc07340roosendaal.jpg
    dsc07340roosendaal.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 80
  • scannen0011marot-acanthus.jpg
    scannen0011marot-acanthus.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 101
  • scannen0014lepautre-acanthus.jpg
    scannen0014lepautre-acanthus.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 99
  • rococoduits1.jpg
    rococoduits1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 92
  • dsc08531denbosch-lotus.jpg
    dsc08531denbosch-lotus.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
maybe you like seing this fine example of Johann Singer on a double rifle by Franz Sodia, Austria.
Martin

Attachments

• Engraving by Johann Singer.jpg
    Engraving by Johann Singer.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 162

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Selected Acanthus Leaf Websites

Selected Acanthus Leaf Websites:

Repousse Acanthus Leaf Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpYMwj8F_OA

Free Acanthus Leaf Clip Art

http://www.clker.com/clipart-13945.html

What is an Acanthus?

http://acanth.com/acanthus.php

Woodcarving Patterns Online, Classic Lines and Leaves Carving Patterns
... Scrimshaw -- Power Carving -- Intarsia -- Scroll Sawing -- Engraving -- Paper Cutting ... Wood Carving Patterns for Accent Lines, Acanthus Leaves, and Panel Work ... Plus there are is a wide variety of the basic acanthus leaf, ...
www.carvingpatterns.com/lines.htm - 56k - Cached - Similar pages

New Stock Weapons
Engraving: Classic Acanthus leaf engraving with a matted background and a brush bright finish. Action: Reinforced Sidelock Ejector ...
www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/london/new_stock_weapons/details/144/?cHash=4c8604bccd - Similar pages

Must have book download (drawing Acanthus leaves) - Hand Engraving ...
11 posts - Last post: Aug 30, 2008
Must have book download (drawing Acanthus leaves) Hand Engraving Forum.com. ... The book is called "Guide For Drawing the Acanthus". ...
www.engravingschool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2104 - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

Amazon.com: Gunstock Carving: A Step-by-Step Guide to Engraving ...
Great "how to" for rotary engraving gunstocks, November 5, 2006 ... and basket weave checkering, oak and acanthus leaf carving, and a wildlife scene. ...
www.amazon.com/Gunstock-Carving-Step-Step-Engraving/dp/156523166X - 289k - Cached - Similar pages

Picture Collection Online
the web site of The New York Public Library Mid-Manhattan Library Digital Picture Collection. Browsing by Source Title: Guide for drawing the acanthus, and every description of ...
o digital.nypl.org/mmpco/browseSTresults.cfm?trg=1&sourceid=11290
o • Cached page

Index of /Projects/Banknote Design/Recommended Reading/
Guide for drawing the acanthus, and every description of ornamental foliage" - a rather long title to an exceptional book. IMHO, this book should be required reading for banknote ...
o www.neatocool.com/Projects/Banknote Design/Recommended Reading
o • Cached page

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
arnaud: natural scroll exists in many places in nature. fern & plant tendrils. the chambered nautillis, as well as many other sea shells.also in the night sky, visible in telescopes in the form of spiral arms of certain galactic formations. it can also be seen in the silaceous structure of certain microorganisms. it can also be derived by math formula.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Arnaud.

Apropos nothing really…….. just a bit of fun.
The Dutch spelling for acanthus leaves is very close to a phonetic spelling of my name, Barraclough

Barraclough is a North Country English name originating in the county of Yorkshire.
This area was often invaded by Vikings so one might expect it to have that connection.
Many people and places in Yorkshire have Anglicized Viking names.
Maybe the Dutch invaded there too??

Cafe member and friend, Fred Bowen pointed out the close phonetic spelling to me.
I’m happy to hear that a Dutch person hearing my name pronounced would think of me as an acanthus leaf.

Best :) John B.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Heck I thought you were derived from Native Americans and your name came from Bear Claw LOL

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Indeed John, the phonetic spelling is very similar.
Only "Bereklauw" means bear claw and I can't see the connection with the Acanthus, only that the plant can grow as big as a bear. :D

arnaud

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors