Epson Transparencies - end of an era?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The first commercially available transfer method that utilized transparencies was one that Bertil Asland marketed 5 or 6 years ago. This went off the market when he passed away.

Now it seems that Epson transparency transfers are gonna be history too.

Those of you who watch both forums should be aware that the Epson transparencies have been discontinued.

This began 5 months ago, and the lack of availability has increased daily. In my last class of 2008 (August), I advised students that this was coming – and that if they liked how the transfer performed in the classroom, they should lay in a stock.

Several of the suppliers began announcing on their sites around late September that the product was being discontinued.

In my own studios, we grew pretty dependent on them a couple years ago. When something works well for me I tend to make sure we will have a supply.

We always keep a large stash ahead – enough for two years at normal consumption. There are 2 Epson printers in use, plus 3 brand new units still in boxes. About a dozen of the Durabrite ink cartridges…

Epson discontinued the transparencies for two main reasons. The world is turning away from overhead projectors, and the one reason that interests us. The product had a flaw. The ink would not always bond well, and that was precisely why the transfer method worked so well!

I am sure that something will come along to take the place of this product, but I can’t afford to be without the accuracy that they provided - until a replacement is found.

Yes, I have used the other brands of transparencies (there are 7 of them on the shelf in front of me), and yes I have tried every other method ever mentioned anywhere on the Internet.

They all work to some degree, but none as precisely as the combination of Epson transparency and Epson Durabrite ink… at least not so far.

Brian Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA 95209
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Blackmarket opportunity?:)

That's the one Ken.

Better get busy, they are NOT easy to find anymore. Lots of places still list it and show that they have it in stock. Reality is a bit different.

Seems you can only be sure a company has it - when they email you that it has been shipped.

Brian

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
For Info;
I just got done doing a test transfer with Tom's solution, and baking parchment. I t works , with great detail. I used a lazer printer, and baking parchment.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Update:

A student just called and said she spent 3 or 4 hours online and on the phone. Says she covered at least 30 online suppliers.

Got one solid result for her time. Last one they had.

Also said that 3 or 4 suppliers offered to sell her another product that they claimed was "just as good" - but not the real thing. So watch out.

Brian

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
i also have worked through the reynolds baking parchment and zippo / damer transfer method with the help of Everett and it works great. it was all about the paper. Everett do you feel that Toms solution works even better?

Matthew

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Matthew,

On the Zippo fluid, having had a rather rough life history, and not caring to add to my misery - I generally try to stay away from things that have an MSDS like that stuff does...

I don't allow a lot of things to be used in a classroom where they might harm people. As always, what you do by yourself is your own business. I am guilty of taking chances with plenty of other things.

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yup, tried it back when it first came out. Asked him at the time whether it contained anything that might cause health problems - he said no. Long since used it all up.

The elixir that I personally make and use now is alcohol based and cannot harm you unless you drink it. And then only because the alcohol is "denatured".

In Mexico, I make the stuff with pure alcohol - and you could actually drink it without harm. (Other than the hangover next morning) The other ingredients would make it taste pretty foul though... :(

Brian

Last edited:

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Matthew;
It's about 6 of 1, and 1/2 doz of another. To me it works about the same as the home brew solution. I have gone to the parchment for all most of my transfers. I even use it on dark surfaces, by laying down a coat of China White, let dry, then coat with transfer solution, and proceed as normal. It's a little more fragile with the China White, but you can live with it.

jack

Sorry guys but I just called Epson and they are out of stock. He did say that they will be getting some in the near fulture. Now this could take a while. Jack:mad:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gonna go double and triple check

I hope you are right Phil, there has never been any better product for the purpose.

I got my original information from two sources. A student who formerly worked in sales for Epson, and a lady named Linda(?) who worked in some dept. of production that I spoke to last year.

The former said it was on her list of discontinued items, the latter said that they were “tightening up” because of the economy and that this item was not qualifying to be continued. I have not been able to contact the student today at the phone number I was given.

Based on that and what has happened since then – the dwindling supplies, the internet sales companies repeating that they list the product as discontinued – I would not normally bother to check further. (Kinda overwhelming circumstantial evidence)

But now, if someone has told you otherwise – I will have to phone them myself and report the conversation back here on the forum. Stay tuned.

Brian

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I found a place that had them for $49.95 per 30 but the minimum order was 4 boxes.

They are called World Class Ink 1-877-813-7201.

Peter

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All I could find out...

OK, got hold of a guy at Epson by the name of Brandon. He left me on hold while he went and woke up a supervisor. Here is what was relayed to me through Brandon:

Epson apparently does not actually make paper or transparencies. They have two major suppliers who do this for them. According to what the supervisor saw on his computer screen – neither company has current/pending orders for our transparency. Whether or not the product has been discontinued by the higher ups in his company, he could not tell me for fact.

So there it is, as best as I can get it for the moment.

During the conversation it was mentioned that the supervisor did not have access to inventories in Asia, Europe, etc. Maybe there is still a stash sitting in a warehouse somewhere?

Whatever happens, I am set for the foreseeable future, and some of you who use the stuff and needed to stock up have done so. (Epson isn’t paying me to start a rush on their product)

I am currently at the lowest point you can get from a common cold and am retiring to bed. Perhaps someone else will continue the search for the “realâ€￾ truth…

Brian

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It could also be that Epson was planning on killing the product but now that they've been getting so much interest...

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I called Epson and they said that the U.K. store has them in stock,I emailed the u.k. store and they said they have in stock BUT they are not allowed to sell product to the US. They told me to contact US epson. Getting the run around.
Keith

Latest posts

Sponsors