Some recent work

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is the No. 1 gun of a pair of Holland & Holland guns I recently finished. The No 1 gun depicts pheasant and English/Grey Partridge on the ground along with heads of the respective hen birds. Underside depicts a woodcock.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus your work is stunning, thank you very much for sharing. The woodcock looks like it could take flight at any moment. I saved these to my file for future reference. I have only been engraving as a hobby for 2 years and the more I do the more I want to do. I can tell this is going to as bad a habit as building my beloved flintlock longrifles.

Thanks again
Jim Parker

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Marcus, Very nice. Though I will most likely never attain to this level of quality. It reminds me of an old saying I was reminded recently. "You don't have to be a horse to be a judge at a horse show".

Beautiful Job.

Ed

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Superlative ! Hmmm. That is a good word. It describes it well Sam.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, very nice for sure.
The parts that will be covered by wood when mounted, aren't they never engraved ?

arnaud

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys for your comments, they're much appreciated. It's quite hard as a professional engraver when you rarely get feedback from the clients so it's nice to be able to show one's work to a group of peers.

Arnaud, I'm not quite sure I understand your question. The parts that are engraved are not covered by wood. Holland and Holland have 'hand detachable locks' and so the bridles are engraved. These are only seen if the owner takes the locks out from the gun or when the gunmaker services the gun. Apart from that there is no engraving beneath the wood. Is this what you meant?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Marcus that is what I mean. Besides that it is more expensive when you engrave parts that are only seen by the gun maker or when you take the locks out, it is more decadent to have these parts engraved. But it is worth considering it if the owner likes it.

arnaud

Sponsors