Jerry Fisher Hagn action single shot "Best engraved Rifle Award" Reno 2009

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am grateful for the support I recieved on this one in Reno from the Guild members and wanted to say thank you. Here are a few pics of what I did to accomplish the work.
I am traveling, and the bandwidth here in Shanghai is not what it could be so please be patient as it could be difficult to reply.

I spent a month on drawings, on and off. This is one I did about a week into it:

after another week or so I had the critters arranged:

and the result:

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Barry

A thouroughly deserved award. Beautiful rifle and engraving. It was a real pleasure holding and seeing the rifle in Reno and talking with you about it.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a beauty. I'm sorry I couldn't be in Reno to see it in person.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the Close ups Barry! I love to be able to see everything, You did an awesome job on this one! As usual for you, ;)

Dwayne

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone, Sam I am sorry you weren't in Reno, and Tira, it was very nice to meet you there, Thanks DD, and Rex( Mr. President), and Joseph, as to your request, as to that, here you go. . . .

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good show Barry!!

Congratulations again!!

I'm curious.

Those look like silver inlays in the animals butts. If they are, I didn't notice it when I saw it in person. Are these silver inlays, or is it just the shine on the metal?

Ron S

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Barry, that is beautiful. I like your sculptured leaves and ribbons it is all great. That relief looks .020 thousands deep that is amazing.

Thanks for the view.

Ed

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No question, Barry,

You are fast, fearless, and really, really good !

I enjoyed hearing something about your early days in Calfornia, when a bunch of us dined in Reno, and fun to pick and strum a few with you.

... and you are generous....Thank you also for walking us through many a project with excellent, clear photography on both this forum, and the Lindsay forum. Still get chills looking at that 'Franklin' gun and remembering the Arctic ice!

best

Rod

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for all the kind words and observations.
Thanks D, I alays try to reflect the rest of the piece on the quarter rib, without doing so much as to distract from the lines.
My Teacher Ron S., The Bighorn butts are burnished, as well as the horns and noses, it gives a good "white" effect, the only inlays on this one where on the safety, "F" and "S". I still remember the good times at the metal melding class and will exercise some of those lessons soon I hope.
Weldon and Ed, thanks, and its closer to .035 in the deep spots, I will show how I got there as I post more pics.
I love you John B, thanks for taking the time , and always for listening.
And Rod, thanks for letting me put my fingerprints on your wonderful guitars, and I will refresh myself on "Tennesee waltz" before we meet again so I wont hurt any eardrums with your fiddle next time:)

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
barry : looking at your work makes me wish i knew how to engrave ! congratulations on a most impressive work !

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Guys, here is the drawing for the Sheep side, then the acetone transfer, then I carved the leaves, and protected them with etching ground:

ANd I gotta say, the internet connection sucks in Shanghai, hehe.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Phil, there is a bit of the old Ken Hunt damascene influence on the simpler leaves, the ones with the fat center segment. The leaves with the long narrow center segment are more germanic, learned them from Winny mostly.

Latest posts

Sponsors