Listen while you work

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know some engravers like to listen to music while they work.

I like music, but prefer to listen to intelligent speech while I work, and I rarely involve anything above the heart and muscle, trusting the body to do the work.

So my preferred listening is the British BBC radio 4, free internet broadcast. Britain collects about $150 per TV-owning household, to amass a very large budget and produce excellent programmes on all subjects. They only allow Radio to be freely heard abroad, and that suits me fine.

Yesterday's "Saturday Play", "On the Ceiling" set in the 16th century, is a one-hour fanciful look at the Sistine Chapel ceiling project, through the eyes of some of the fresco artisans who were later fired by the Master. You can hear it from the BBC archives at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00h9dl2/Saturday_Play_On_the_Ceiling

Often the engraver works out design ideas in a handy page-sized drawing, which is then reduced to a tiny real life size, and transfered to metal for cutting. Michaelangelo did the reverse of scaling, working on a convenient sized cartoon with graph-paper-like grid, which his assistants later laid out in a hugely expanded scale on the Chapel ceiling, then drew in the full size outline to prepare the 'canvas' for the artist. Engravers work on an unforgiving canvas, likewise when working on fresh plaster circumstance again are pretty unforgiving, I am told.

This play is superficially light hearted, yet touches on things that interest us all, and moves forward to the discarding of tried and true methods in favor of breaking new ground ... the master's move from standing on thick safer ice, to thin ice.

You may enjoy listening as you work?

best

Rod

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I listen to BBC Radio 4 most days. Like you, Rod, I like to listen to intelligent 'talk radio' but sometimes I get the urge to listen to music and BBC Radio 2 is great for the 30+ age group. If you want a great dose of British humour I can thoroughly recommend the Steve Wright in the Afternoon show on this channel.

catnip

Radio 4

I was a fifteen year old apprentice in 1969, just me and my mentor, in a tiny workshop. fifteen in 1969. The music that was about then. And I had to listen to radio 4, from a tiny little tranny. What an awful waste of ear time. Tony

Latest posts

Sponsors