Question: Multi-Gold Inlay

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I am getting ready to inlay a flower by using both green and yellow gold. I want the leafs to be green gold, and the center to be yellow. The base material is sterling silver, the green gold is 14k, and the yellow gold is 24k.

My question is how to do this. I can think of two ways.
1 - Cut out the entire flower, raise some burls, and under cut the outer edges. Then inlay the entire flower in green gold, then cut out the center and inlay the yellow gold.
2 - Cut out the center, raise some burls, inlay the yellow gold. Cut out the leafs, raise some burls, inlay the green gold.

For you people who have done this type of multi-color gold inlay, how would you recommend doing it?

Thanks
Mike

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm able to inlay multi colors in steel, but my experiences into inlays on silver have been a real train wreck.

Some of that base metal is just as soft as the gold. One good whack and everything is dented and deformed.

I'd really be interested in hearing from someone who really can do it.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I inlayed 14K yellow into sterling once. I cut out the recess into the silver, gently hammered the 14K yellow expanding it to fill any noticeable gaps. Then I flowed silver solder onto the seam. You have to be very careful though to prevent the silver surface from being bit out or etched where the solder balls are placed. I then sanded and polished the plate flush and engraved in the detailing. It came out very clean. Unfortunately I threw out the photo of it I had because it wasn't a good photo. I would think silver would be too soft to receive and hold an inlay without solder.

I have had good luck with inlaying into white gold though as pictured below.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have done quite a bit of gold inlay work on sterling silver. Forget about making teeth. 24K gold and pure silver can be inlaid by the wire process. 24K gold , pure silver and pure copper Wires can be inlaid into cuts just as it is in steel. Another way is to do your inlays in small pieces on different levels. No bigger than 1/8" Anything harder than pure silver, copper or 24K gold must be silver soldered in. Easy silver solder paste works pretty well. Do not use soft solder. Anything with tin or lead in it will amalgamate. Easy silver solder melts around 1150 °F Always do the hardest metal inlays first. Then you can key the softer metals to the harder metal inlays

Latest posts

Sponsors