Attn: Hammer/chisel users

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Last week, I put in an order at GRS for a power-hone and a dual angle sharpener. They were already aware that I use hammer and chisel and asked me if I would try out a new product that their machinist had come up with to hold gravers. OF COURSE I WOULD !!!!! Those good folks at GRS has a winner. They use quick-change adapters in a 6 inch long handle that gives a person a better line-of sight when you engrave. Contact OTIS; at GRS, and maybe they will cataloue this new winner from their stable ..

Attachments

• 100_1167.jpg
    100_1167.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_1169.jpg
    100_1169.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 309

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been test using one of the prototypes for about a year now and they seem to work pretty good for me. The only thing you might want to do is cut them a little bit shorter to suit your physical needs and hammering style. In other words.customize them to you like you would any tool.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Should be a winner!

I made my own about a year ago by taking one of their QC push graver handles apart and gluing the front part into one of my own wooden handles. I have used (my own prototype) a lot since then and it works well. It is very similar to what you see in the pic above. The only problem I have encountered with it is when I am cutting something really hard which requires a stout whack with the hammer. For those times I use something else.

Nice to know that we H&C engravers are not left out of the R&D loop at GRS!

Weldon

joe seeley

looks almost like the one that I sent to them about 4 years ago to look at. mine was round handle though.
Got a nice letter from them that said "no thank you we will never do anything for the hammer and chisel people", funny thing the next catalog had chasing hammers in it.

Joe

Attachments

• engraving hand piece.jpg
    engraving hand piece.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Ngraver company has had something similar for years. They don't use the quick change holders it has a set screw.
Keith

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
H&C handles

My, don't things come around! These are some handles I made over thirty years ago with Steel rod and JB Weld. They worked very well at the time.

Attachments

• 100_1838.jpg
    100_1838.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 149

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
would have been a real winner, when it came out the same time as the qc system, for myself and the most of engravers I know all made one or more themselves... so the idea is not so new...
I see the model is based on that of Liege engraving school and I can t wait to give it a try

Last edited:

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
That is a fine idea, -the universal tools for the future! I am glad that GRS does not forget about non powered engraving.
Steel handles are good for heavy use, but for the majority of jobs wooden handles or handles made of aluminum are better. The material the shaft is made of has a big effect on the way a tool cuts. The shape of my aluminium handle prototype should be tapered and a bit shorter. A steel insert at the end prevents it from mushrooming.

Point geometrys that works equally well when used hand pushed or air powered will be discovered in near future.

Martin

Attachments

• QC-chisels.jpg
    QC-chisels.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 123
  • QC-gravers.jpg
    QC-gravers.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 103

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
THANKS for the input. Having theses holders already made up will help out those whom arent inclined to make things for themselves, or havent the time to spare. Monk, the only ones ive tried were the .093 and the .125 inch, never checked out the last one yet.. I liked the new holders right away, as my wrist and hands were always entering my line of sight and Id have to adjust in some way , shape, or form, to find my lines.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I buy these handles from Ace hardware. They are sold as file handles and come in various sizes. I have had this one for a long time. I think with the GRS inserts they could be easily made into nice chisel handles. I drill holes in my file handles to hang them up. Looks simular.

Attachments

• A file handle.jpg
    A file handle.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 46

John Cleston

Made from 1/2 stainless

I bought the GRS quick change holders and asked a friend of mine to make these holders last year. I plan to take them to Troy N.C. in August. My vacation and my first engraving class.

I tooled one and will tool the other after I figure out how to make the tooling look different. Any Ideas?

Latest posts

Sponsors