Bracelet Engraving

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I apologize as I haven't posted much recently due to time restraints (having too much work to do and too little time!).
Thought I would show a couple of bracelet projects from the last of '08.

The first was inspired by a trip our family took last fall to an area of Texas called "Lost Maples Natural Area" It is a state park in central Texas where situated in a beautiful canyon, lives a "lost" collection of big tooth maple trees. During the fall they can be spectacular and were so this past November when we got a chance to visit. I came away inspired by the beauty so - here is the result.

All bracelets shown are made in 14 gauge sterling silver. I buy 6x12 sheets and cut off the width desired.

Though not strictly "engraved" per se, this 7/8 wide cuff definitely has engraving in its makeup! I hand engraved a maple leaf (negative or, backward) on the end of a 3/8 steel rod, hardened it and used that as a die to stamp the design into the several colors of gold and silver. A jewelers saw was used to cut out each leaf which was subsequently hard soldered to the bracelet. The bracelet itself was hand textured prior to the application of the leaves and then bent afterward using a GRS former, with a little help from a wood block and a rawhide mallet. When bending bracelets I always use some padding in the device to protect the bracelet & this is even more crucial on bracelets with overlays such as this one. Bending the bracelet beforehand was out for me since I torch solder and keeping all the leaves (12, one for each month!) in place on a compound curve while trying to solder would have driven me nuts (actually, not much of a trip but hey!) Once all the leaves were securely soldered on and the bracelet bent, I retouched the leaves by hand as necessary. Ditto for the heart shaped pendant.

The second bracelet is a silver Quail (the quail is a casting from one of my originals carved first in wax & then cast and reproduced via the lost wax process) & is overlayed onto a 3/4 wide sterling cuff engraved in American style scroll. I use a 120 for the majority of my cutting along with various onglettes and flats for background removal, shading was cut with a modified 18-6 straight liner. The background has been moderately relieved and then matted using a punch. The floral elements or buds between the big scrolls were sculpted (using punches or chislets) and then the edges were masked off and the middle section was gingerly (and I do mean gingerly) and carefully glass beaded for texture. Too much air pressure or blasting for too long a time or too close on soft material like silver will remove detail pronto so if you try this at home, be careful! Unlike the Lost Maples bracelet, this one was bent first and then the overlay added.

The third bracelet is a 1" wide piece reminiscent of the work of Cuno Helfricht whose style is most commonly associated with Colt Single Action factory engraving from the early part of the 20th century. Sunburst designs, chip-edge borders encompassing bold scroll with a punch dot background were Mr. Helfricht's
hallmark.

The past pics are of a design in the cutting stage and then after that segment has been completed. A graceful (hopefully anyway) pattern combining sculpted tendrils and some English scroll. The sculpted flowers will have their gold centers inlayed after the piece is formed and bent.
Just threw those in for fun!

Thanks for looking & hope you enjoy!
Hope you don't mind if I am a little slow answering questions, not so much time available at the moment.

Weldon

I have given some serious thought to putting together a bracelet how-to pamphlet detailing step-by-step how I do it. If there is enough interest I will proceed.
If you would like to be notified, please PM me (no emails) and I will let you know when (& IF) one becomes available!

Thanks

I added several new pics: These are work of a little different nature and show what can happen when you are left alone, unsupervised, locked in the shop without food or water for an extended period of time! Some silver with gold, some silver & some in copper, some in copper/silver bimetal. The engraved "look" is called "Engraffiti", a name I trademarked last year. The idea is a blend of the words engraving and graffiti.
Hope you enjoy

Attachments

• A1-1.jpg
    A1-1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 437
  • A2-1.jpg
    A2-1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 409
  • A2-2.jpg
    A2-2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 385
  • A2-3.jpg
    A2-3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 416
  • A4-1Chiseling.jpg
    A4-1Chiseling.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 438
  • A4-2Chisleing completed.jpg
    A4-2Chisleing completed.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 465
  • A1-2.jpg
    A1-2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 437
  • Bling 1.jpg
    Bling 1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Bling 2.jpg
    Bling 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Bling 3.jpg
    Bling 3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon, nice job on the bracelets!

I was wondering, what is it you are using to hold the blank in the image #5.It doesn't look like shellac.

Thanks

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great Stuff (as usual)

Weldon. Great work (as usual) and very original.
I've been wondering where you've been and kinda expected to hook up with you in Reno.
Oh, well....
On another note---a bunch of us are trying to work our way to Texas this summer.
The trip is tentatively planned towards either Crawford or possibly San Antonio.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

I will be seeing you in for sure on your Texas trip!

Thanks to all for the kind words!!

WL

Canadian,

I use automotive Bondo to hold 'em down. After I'm done, I turn 'em loose by using a heat gun - the Bondo will loose its grip when heated. If you decide to use Bondo, make sure to do so in a well ventilated area - use caution & follow the manufacturers instructions!

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wonderful engraving, Weldon. I'm still a huge fan of your work. Absolutely love your style. A how-to would be very VERY well received.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon,

Man, these just keep getting better and better every time you post. Keep it up!!!! And I'll definitely be sending you a PM about the pamphlet.

Mark

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon,
I like those bracelets; makes me want to do something else with these silver and argentium sheets... like make fishing sinkers out of em'.:tiphat: That one you're chiseling on shows you were paying attention at Grand Masters one year.

I particularly like your signature! If we all could just engrain that one small passage into our minds and write it on our hearts, we'd all have most of life's problems licked. Thanks for the pics.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam(and everyone else too, Tim, Doc Mark, Tira & Monk!)

Thank you for the encouragement! (by the way SAM, the feeling is mutual! I always get a thrill when I see your work - I still wonder how you do it!!)
I will give some serious thought on putting something together here pretty quick.
I am currently working on a hammer and chisel basic engraving book which I would like to have out this year so the bracelet how-to would be fairly simple and straightforward (I hope). I certainly don't know everything about making them but I would definitely share my perspective on the method I use if there is an interest in it. Kind of hard to tell if you don't ask so, thanks for all those that have sent a PM so far. When I get something done I will break the news here.

Thank you all again,

Weldon

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
More beautiful work, Weldon. I am always astounded by the wide range of your work. Each time you show your latest ideas you raise the bar and the combination of skill and artistry you manage to bring togther in original ways always results in a winner.

Glad to hear that you are working on a book. Your articles are always well-written and very useful.

Best

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon,
Your work never fails to impress me. Beautiful, elegant, and just really classy. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Stewart

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the kind words!

Tim; there is so much info floating around during a Grand Master's event that is is difficult to take it all in! Kind of like dying and going to engraving heaves so to speak. I have definitely tried to incorporate what I learned into my bag of tricks. (if I don;t use it, I'll forget it, the old use it or loose it deal.)

Thanks again,

WL

Latest posts

Sponsors