little torch

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
I wondered if anyone had used the propane/ox Smith Little Torch for soldering? Does the #7 tip put out enough heat to solder heavy buckles, 3"x4"x 16ga silver. Or do you need the rosebud tip? Is there a better torch? Thanks Ken

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Ken, If you can get a propane oxy set in the little torch it would work just great. Yes i would get the rosebud tip for soldering silver. I also have been looking at a torch in Indian jewelry supply that uses propane and the oxy is used from the atmosphere.# 307-PRKP115 this kit comes with the medium tip which would probably work fine. There is also a large tip available. This would be a good setup for silver soldering and is also a bit cheaper. I have a little torch with oyx acet. and i use it to solder about everything from large sterling buckles to fine hollow gold chain. I have not worked with propane but it burns much cleaner and is not quite as hot. Good Luck Doug

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ken,
The little torche is a very good torch for the smallest work to quite big stuff. So if you want to do small things too, this is your torch. I agree fully with Doug, get the rosebud for the big stuff.
I made an adapter to be able to fit seringe needles on it as burner tips (wont work with acytelene, they would burn up Ive been told). I also made some bigger burnerheads inbetween the nr 7 and the rosebud.
Best burner I ever had!

Markofx

Hi Ken,

when doing soldering on larger pieces of silver, buckles, bracelets, and your using Oxy, Propane the LiL Torch has a rose bud tip you can buy. I wouldn't use Acetolene as it's to damm hot and you'll have fire scale everywhere. I brought two "Y" connectors for each tank and have a larger Hoke torch for bigger jobs when I need it. They come with seperate knobs so you can shut one off when not needed. Check a welder supply store and you can get the "Y" connectors.

Mark

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Smith LiL Torch in Propane and Oxygen that I use for soldering gold. But I need a wider flame for soldering silver because silver conducts heat much better than gold. I generally plan on raising the entire silver piece to a light pink. To do that I use a propane/air torch I bought in the plumbing section of the local hardware store.

I made and repaired a lot of sterling jewelry using that torch. I will be using it again today on my first Argentium project.

Les Holmes

wdale.bass

Ive been using the little acealene torch from RIO for about 15 years to build trophy buckles and put backs on steel conchos,etc.. I use a #6 tip on just about everything because you can adjust the flame small for delicate soldering or go big for large heat items.Afterwords I let the item cool to room temp and the let set in Sno-Bowl toilet cleaner until the firescale has dissapeared,polish out and put in the ultrasonic cleaneer and its ready to engrave.

Latest posts

Sponsors