Greener

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was asked to put my interpritation into an old Greener pattern, but not completely lose it,here's the start of it.
The scenes will be carved.

Phil

Andrew Biggs

Hi phil

Just beautiful. I love the combination of oak and scroll.....looks stunning.

So how does the Greener design work? Do you basically have to copy an existing pattern but put your own twist on it by updating it a bit ?

Looking forward to seeing the carved scenes!!

Cheers
Andrew

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,
You've more or less got it there.
The original had lots of very small scrolls around the edge of the plate and all the remaining scroll work has tight scroll. I decided to open it up somewhat and introduce a more leafy look, but it still had to resemble the original.
To be quite honest I would prefer to start from scratch with my own design.

Phil

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As always, that is a fine looking design and layout. Is the design transferred from a computer image to a transparency and burnished onto the sideplate? It looks so perfect right to the very edge!

Peter

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Phil,
As always, your step by step pictures are actually an invitation to study to the forum members. What a great and generous offer from you!
Martin

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, yes, yes ! for youngsters who may not believe in the value of drawing skills, and the role careful layout plays-- look at this mans' work. he surely doesn't cut corners on that. careful planning = great results. too much time spent drawing, really is not too much time at all !

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sometimes I wish I could cut corners but as Monk says, it does,nt pay. It has to be remembered that whatever the drawing looks like, that is what the engraving is going to be.

I usually spend about two to three days designing both sides and bottom of a gun, this is an average, but when it comes to something like the new Nelson gun where the scenes are very complicated and have to be historically accurate...well that's another matter.

I have found that Photoshop is a great help and saves many hours, not by drawing, but by arranging drawings that have been done, or cutting up parts of photographs, pasteing them, resizing and moving them about. Printing them out in real size can sometimes show that something is wrong, ie. The birds etc are too small/large.

After spending many months, sometimes a year on one gun it's a refreshing change to sit down with pencil and paper and draw something new. There's ALWAYS a challenge, sometimes I think, right this next gun is going to be really something, only to find that when I have a blank sheet of paper in front of me, the papers not the only thing that's blank!

The important thing to think is...never be satisfied with your work, always strive to find ways to improve and we're ALL still learning!! :)

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors