bracelet metals

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
I am curious as to what type of metal sheets to by when making bracelets. I seen a post on this forum of a fella who made beautiful braclets and thought to myself I would like to try that. I am not very astute at metals and their hardness and the like. I would appreciate a direction to look to in this regard. thank you Ethelbert

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ethelbert, you can make bracelets out of many types of metal. To practice cheaply you can use copper which is soft and bendable. Many people make bracelets out of silver, too. If you have access to a large press you can even make bracelets out of stainless steel, but these are very hard to bend. One of the tricks is to engrave it and then bend it because it's much harder to engrave after it's bent.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi,

I use 14 gauge sterling silver from mine (I order through Rio Grande Supply). I get 6x12 sheets and cut it to the desired width (anywhere between 3/8 and 1") I have also used copper and steel in approximately the same thickness to make a few bracelets as well.

Hope that helps,

Weldon

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when i make bracelets for people to wear, if they are of copper, brass, or stainless, i always ask if the people want them lined or coated inside. if they are left plain, copper for example, will wreak havoc with the skin of many people.

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
thank you all, i sincerly appreciate your responses. Mr Weldon I would very much like to be on a list of yours to show how. thank you all Ethelbert

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Monk,
What products do you coat your bracelets with. I have made several copper bracelets and coated them with different products but nothing seems to stand up to human chemistry and/or the flexing of the bracelet itself. I now only use Agentium/Sterling silver in 16 gauge (.051 inch).

Les Schowe

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i never went as exotic as marrinan. i used colored epoxy paint, suede leather, and some kind of very fine leather supplied by a customer. the leather way has a drawback, it will eventually fall prey to body chemistry. the epoxy way is probably the best way. what i used, if anything, depended on client preference. some folks wanted bare copper for some sort of "special" rheumatism protective powers it provided. these people usualy died of copper deposits in their gizzards, never of rheumatism !!

Last edited:

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
The reason that I asked the question above is that a couple years ago my wife purchased a copper bracelet (I am not totally sure that is pure copper but it is at least copper colored) in Deadwood, SD for a very low cost. This bracelet never tarnishes or effects my wife's wrist in any way -- she loves it. So, there must be a way to use copper or at least some alloy of copper for bracelets, and I like the looks of western bright cut copper.

Les Schowe