New English Fine Scroll Engraved Lancaster O/U

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No, I couldn't possibly draw out the detail of every scroll before I started; that would take forever. I draw the design (the spines of the scrolls) directly onto the action or piece, scribe them and cut. All the inside work is freehanded, but that's easy when you know what you're doing.

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,

Thanks for clearing that up. In the few books that I do have, there is more about the design than the execution.

I think what Steve said about being an exercise in negative space makes sense as well.

Thank you both.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Marcus, I was going to be a smart aleck and say something like"I think you are getting it" or "after spending a bit of time with some American engravers I was hoping we had influenced and downgraded your scroll so as to make ourselves feel better". .......All I can say is BRAVO. When I first starting learning about engraving I was not very interested in small english. The farther along I come the more admiration I have for well cut and designed small scroll and the more I like it. Come on over and we will try again to contaminate your scrolls.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

The last few posts of yours have been fabulous (as if I would expect anything less from you!) and encouraging!! Did you ever cut the mando tailpiece?

WL

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
Absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much for generously sharing your time and experience with us.

Stewart

king123

Marcus,

Wonderful design and execution thanks for sharing the photographs of this great piece. If I could own but one engraved knife, gun or buckle it would be done in this classic English style.

Best
Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors