New English Fine Scroll Engraved Lancaster O/U

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, as promised, some photos of a new Lancaster Over/Under shotgun I finished yesterday. I hope this gives some of the detail some of you are after.

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus

Would it be possible to get an extreme closeup - say, just the area between the flowers on the lower gun? That would really show the internal structure of the scrolls.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve Looks Like You've Got a good zoom on your camera........

Steve Looks Like You've Got a good zoom on your camera........maybe you could zoom in on his image. Ha, Ha.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is some wonderful work, and your flowers are very stunning. Any chance you could do a closeup of the flowers. I always enjoy your posts, Seth

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, what's going on? I cannot see any of Marcus's photos! None of his Photobucket postings will load on my computer. I can see everyone else's photos. Are there any Computer Gurus out there who can explain this frustrating phenomena? I've been waiting for Marcus to post some English Scroll samples and when they arrive I can't see them!!! UGH!!

Thanks Marcus, I'm sure someone can help me and I can't wait to see your work up close.

Mark

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve Looks Like You've Got a good zoom on your camera........maybe you could zoom in on his image. Ha, Ha.

No luck - I tried zooming in on the image but it pixellates just where you want to see the detail.

OK, what's going on? I cannot see any of Marcus's photos! None of his Photobucket postings will load on my computer. I can see everyone else's photos. Are there any Computer Gurus out there who can explain this frustrating phenomena? I've been waiting for Marcus to post some English Scroll samples and when they arrive I can't see them!!! UGH!!

Thanks Marcus, I'm sure someone can help me and I can't wait to see your work up close.

Mark

Are you behind a firewall? Where I work the Firewall Of Idiocy blocks some images.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No,I don't have a firewall at work. I'm at home now and I can see the photos fine. I'll try again at work tomorrow. I agree Steve that extream close-ups would be helpful.

Mark

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
good lord, marcus ! i'm goin blind just lookin. you must have ruined yours doing this. what a fantastic view for the eyes !

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your kind words guys. I really love engraving this style of scrollwork. Unfortunately, mainly due to a lack of understanding as to how it should be done, a lot of so called English scroll has become debased and is emerging into something totally different. In my view, and from what I've seen, this isn't an evolution for the better. I'm hoping that by posting this stuff you guys will gradually be able to apply what you see here into your own scrollwork. In this way we can add interest and elevate this often misunderstood style back to near the top of scroll styles.

I've blown up a section of the underside of the action but please remember, this stuff is designed to be seen with the naked eye. When looked at without magnification the eye gets an overall impression of interesting small scrolls, what it rarely does is focus on individual scrolls.

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you, Marcus, for the more detailed view. This photo is such a treat because my naked eye can only dream of seeing the actual gun up close. If you do castings of your work, I would love to purchase some. I didn't see any hints of castings on your website.

Did you undercut and then stipple the dark areas between the scroll leaves?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Marcus! :)

That closer shot is very nice.

I think one of the reasons you see so much non-English scroll is because you have to a close shot like the one you provided to see how it's really done. It's really an exercise in negative space, isn't it, with the leaves being made by the metal you 'ignore' between the cuts.

Comprehension of the style keeps hovering just about there in my mind. I can get my brain to focus on the pattern of the spirals, or on this cut or that cut, but I can't quite get it all to gel. I'm betting when your kit comes out it will do the trick.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus has given an excellent top end example of English Rose and Scroll.
This was bread and butter work of the majority of british engraver at one time, and the time they had to do it in for their money was unbelievable.
As marcus says, it is meant to be viewed with the naked eye and minor discrepancies that can happen in some of the scrolls is quite acceptable, in fact to a certain extent gives the scroll more character.

Phil

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for that Phil. I'm sure you'd agree that sometimes those "discrepancies" are often unique to an engraver and it can become rather like hand-writing, unique to a particular individual. That is why 10 different engravers all cutting the same design will all produce differing results.

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,

This may sound silly, but do you draw each scroll out in detail before you cut them? Or do you just draw the backbone and fill in as you go?

I can't even draw them on paper that small with anywhere near the detail you put in them.

Sponsors