Question: Anyone used System 3 from GRS?

TxZone

Hi
Looking to buy into some new equipment from GRS. I am new to engraving and would like to hear from anyone with experience of the System 3 by GRS.
How much does it differ from the Gravermax? What will it NOT do? Any help would be really appreciated.

Paul

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Save up a few more bucks and go for the Graversmith, Gravermax or Gravermach.
The System 3 has limited adjustments and you will be wanting to upgrade soon. You'll be money ahead getting what you need the first time around.

TxZone

Save up a few more bucks and go for the Graversmith, Gravermax or Gravermach.
The System 3 has limited adjustments and you will be wanting to upgrade soon. You'll be money ahead getting what you need the first time around.

Thanks for the advice. That was my feeling, but just needed a few opinions to understand better what this tool can and can't do. Cheers.

Paul

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No problem.
If you really find that engraving is not your cup of tea for some reason, a used Gravermax or mach is also easier to sell.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the Graversmith, the System 3 is not the best choice for engraving, and you can only use the hand piece that is made for the System 3
The Graversmith works with all the hand pieces

arnaud

TxZone

I have the Graversmith, the System 3 is not the best choice for engraving, and you can only use the hand piece that is made for the System 3
The Graversmith works with all the hand pieces

arnaud

arnaud... thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure if the handpieces were interchangeable. That's a big help.

Paul

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've seen some very nice engraving done with a System 3, and I've also watched it being done. If you're an experienced engraver I'd say you'll stand a better chance of producing fine work with one, but as Rex said, your money will be much better spent by getting one of the other machines.

TxZone

I've seen some very nice engraving done with a System 3, and I've also watched it being done. If you're an experienced engraver I'd say you'll stand a better chance of producing fine work with one, but as Rex said, your money will be much better spent by getting one of the other machines.

Thank you Sam, much appreciate the advice. I wonder who the System 3 is aimed at if the general concensus of opinion is to go for one of the other machines?

Paul

Diacutter

I own a system 3. But I picked it up for $350.00 new from GRS. (several years ago before the Graversmith was available) If you plan on spending all your time engraving, you should look into other options (if money is not in question)

That said, I LOVE my system 3. I added the heavy piston to help with start up and power. It does take sometime to learn the tool and how much air pressure to use. You are limited to using only the system 3 hand piece but by using the reg. or heavy piston and adjusting the air pressure you can "get the effect of several different hand pieces". Another plus is that it doesn't take up much space on your bench.

Dave

TxZone

Thanks Dave for the additional information. Now I am still confused. Can anyone help me to understand what I can and can't do with the System 3. Thanks.

Paul

Diacutter

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it confusing. What you can't do with a System 3 is use the hand pieces that you can use with the gravermach, gravermax and graversmith. You can engrave,hammer,stipple ect with the system 3. It does not have all the adjustments that the other machines have, like dialing in speed, setting the stroke length and changing hand tools. I believe the System 3 is more suited for people who need power assistment to set stones and hammer metal. But you can engrave on any engravable metal with it. It comes with three different springs to help very the impact. So by increasing or decreasing the air flow at the regulator and changing the springs in the hand piece you can "get the feel" of different hand pieces.

hope this helps.

Dave

Last edited:

TxZone

Dave... thanks very much, that does make it a lot clearer to me. So the advice I have received about buying one of the other machines is because they have all of these other adjustments that presumably improve the work. Thanks for taking the time to explain that, much appreciated.

Paul

John Cleston

system 3

I too bought one of these systems. It is my first pneumatic tool. I am happy with it, but engraving is a skilled hobby for me. I have been practicing cuts with it. It really has made my cuts smoother. I really haven't experimented with the spring and I haven't bought the heavier piston either. Just learning the cut smooth is enough for now. I have signed up for an engraving class @ MCC in Troy NC for this fall. I plan on taking this tool with me then.

The one thing I can say about the tool is that you need an air compressor to run it. If you don't have one by the time you buy that too, you might as well buy the more advanced system. Besides some of the best engravers on this forum recommend it any way.

I have a 60gallon compressor in the garage I use in the summer time. I also have a 4 gallon unit that I use in the house in the winter time. The smaller the air tank the more frequently the compressor runs to build pressure. The noise of a small compressor running in close proximity to your work combined with the distraction of having it cycle on and off frequently can be considered a down side. If you are half deaf this might finish the job over time. After 35 years working as a mechanic I am half deaf anyway.

My goal in learning to engrave is to be a hobby engraver. I want to make a few family heirlooms . I did a small refrigerator magnet for In-law’s 50th Anniversary. It makes a good refridgerator magnet and family wouldn't say anything really bad about it anyway, but it is the kind of engraving the experienced engravers don't like circulating as a reminder of their early work.

Good luck with your decision. The school of hard knocks has taught me over years to make the best of what ever you've got and upgrade to some thing better when things wear out or money is less of an object. After all, if I had waited until I could afford to learn to engrave, I still wouldn't be learning to engrave.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors