My next Zippo engraving

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
It's amazing all the little nuggets of information you can get out of a thread like this: there's a wrong side to a zippo? You mean there is a side that you leave blank? I never had any idea. Someone is getting a 2-for-1 deal..

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
It's amazing all the little nuggets of information you can get out of a thread like this: there's a wrong side to a zippo? You mean there is a side that you leave blank? I never had any idea. Someone is getting a 2-for-1 deal..

Well, Zippo has front- and backside. Front is when the lid opens to the left, ie. hinge is on the left side. Right handed people see this side when 'operating' lighter, that side is facing you. Lefties see the other side :)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, Zippo has front- and backside. Front is when the lid opens to the left, ie. hinge is on the left side. Right handed people see this side when 'operating' lighter, that side is facing you. Lefties see the other side :)

Hmmmm....interesting about front and back. I would have guessed that the front would be with the hinge on the left side. I have a Zippo from the 60's and it had a small college emblem attached to it. It is on the front if holding with the hinge on the left. I write left handed, but do some things as a right handed person would(typical story...learned when very young from a righty).

Anyway, it feels natural to hold a lighter in my left hand with the hinge on the left. How does a righty hold a lighter with a flip top such as a Zippo?

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Vilts: Congratulations on a job well done. You are advancing in the art of engraving and doing great. This is very nicely done!

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hmmmm....interesting about front and back. I would have guessed that the front would be with the hinge on the left side. I have a Zippo from the 60's and it had a small college emblem attached to it. It is on the front if holding with the hinge on the left. I write left handed, but do some things as a right handed person would(typical story...learned when very young from a righty).

Anyway, it feels natural to hold a lighter in my left hand with the hinge on the left. How does a righty hold a lighter with a flip top such as a Zippo?
Peter

Exactly, that's what I wrote - front is when hinge is on the left :).

I guess righties hold lighter in.. right hand, no? Hinge on the left. That way you can open it and light with thumb. Not that I know much about lighting them - I have engraved many, but don't own or use one.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Exactly, that's what I wrote - front is when hinge is on the left :).

I guess righties hold lighter in.. right hand, no? Hinge on the left. That way you can open it and light with thumb. Not that I know much about lighting them - I have engraved many, but don't own or use one.

I was thinking a righty if holding the lighter in the right hand, the hinge would be on the right?:D

NOT that it matters:D

For anyone curious, on YouTube there are some interesting videos on Zippos. One explains the dating system and some others show tricks in opening and striking them.

Peter

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
As an ex smoker, when I used my zippo, I held it in my right hand, being right-handed. I could flip the top open and strike the flint with my right thumb. If the hinge were on the left side, when looking at the engraving, then every body else could see what a cool lighter I had. If it was engraved on the other side, than I could see the cool engraving, and I would have to turn it to show the other people.
What a tough choice!!!
Will

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if one were to try to make this better, it would surely be damaged in some way. some things simply need no improvement ! this is one such item !

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Vilts!

I did find it - in the upper left corner there's one leaf tip that's a little off compared to the other three.

The couple of small spots that look like paint from the darkening not getting fully cleaned off in the lower left quadrant center will come off by themselves so they're not an issue.

Darn fine work! :tiphat:

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
vilts,

i know we are not meant to see the work that closely, but i really appreciated the big picture.

beautiful work!

gary

Latest posts

Sponsors