GRS Ceramic Lap

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Monk: It's not out of true, but seemed like it was loaded with metal particles and wouldn't cut as well as it used to. I think the toothpaste did the trick.

Swede

Sam, I know you recommend the ceramic lap as a way to generate the minute heels necessary on a proper graver, but is it possible to use an ultra-fine diamond wheel? eBay these days is awash with diamond wheels, all the way up to 3,000. Or how about one of the 3M micro-finish pads?

The reason I ask (as a new engraver) is that those darned ceramic laps are just in$anely expensive, and they seem problematic for a lot of folks. If the primary job is graver heels, and not too much else, it seems that as a group we could come up with a viable substitute.

Thanks!

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
This is just a idea, but if you had a hard Arkansas stone and some diamond spray. Use the three angle graver sharpener
you could just sweep it across the stone. I think the Arkansas stone would have similar qualities as a lap, and they're lot
cheaper. You might be able to pick up lap from a wood working supply house also. 2 x 6" they use for planer blades.
Just a thought.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
One on EBAY

For what it's worth -- there is one on Ebay #330101939833 current price is under $17.00
Just under 24 hours remaining -- watch out for snipers!

Latest posts

Sponsors