GRS Ceramic Lap

Hello everyone,

I purchased a brand new GRS Power Hone with a 600 grit wheel from someone who no longer wanted it, good for me because she gave me a price break..

Now I am going to use a gift certificate to purchase the 260 grit and the 1200 grit and also the stand to set them on. When I looked in the Otto Frei catalogue the ceramic lap is listed at $99.70 but when I go to order it online it is $178.00. Did this product go up in price that much does anyone know. The other prices are consistant with the catalogue. Just wondering. Seems like a huge jump. I need the ceramic lap correct with the diamond spray?

Also, I am going to purchase the Dual Angle Sharpening Fixture, is this a good move also?

One last thing, those self adhesive micro finishing films for the 5" disc sound not very good, any thoughts on this method, lots cheaper but you get what you pay for usually.

Thanks for your help,
Obviously I am a newby...
but so very willing to learn.

Laurie

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Laurie,
I would suggest buying some lapidary diamond laps for use on your Power Hone if cost is a consideration. Depending on the grit, they can be bought on EBAY for around $30 - $40. They are much thinner than the nice GRS wheels but function the same.

The ceramic 6" wheel was around $99 when I purchased mine from GRS a little over a year ago.

While the Dual Angle fixture is VERY nice, there reportedly is a new fixture being shown at the FEGA show in Reno that may be something to get as an alternative.

Peter

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Laurie,

The ceramic laps did go up that much everywhere not just at GRS. For the life of me I don't know why but they did.

Peter is right about the laps on ebay. I bought a few sets for the school here and they ended up costing me an average of about $30 each. So far they seem to be holding up and working very well.

The peel and stick films have been giving very good results to those who have tried them for a fraction of the cost of a ceramic and spray. From what I am told you need to be a little careful with them and not abuse them but the same is true of diamond laps as well. One can tear anything up if you try hard enough.

Ray

Thank you for responding, can I be ignorant and ask what is a diamond lap, what heading would I look under for it on e-bay and is it like the the ones GRS sells in regards to thickness and how it holds up vs. those sticky film grits you stick onto a solid disc, sorry I am all wrong with my "lingo".

Thanks much, Laurie

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Laurie,
I just got home not 10 minutes ago from Reno. The new fixtures that are being sold and made by Paul Hammler are what folks are talking about, they were on a table next door to the Lindsay table. Give it a few days to see how many he has made up. I had one bought but let him sell it to someone else as so many people wanted one and he sold out of what he had at the show. He don't live too far from here so I figured I'd go up and get mine later.

As for the peel and stick films; I use them and as far as 3M goes, after using a zillion different products made by them during my 20 odd years in the aircraft industry I can whole heartedly say that every single thing and I mean absolutely everything they make, works just exactly as it is advertized to. I can't say that about any other company I can think of except maybe Patagonia (God bless Yvon Chouinard).

If you use them for polishing only and let the weight of the fixture do the work it will last a long time. If you push too hard they will gouge because they're thin and have to be to produce a flat surface. I tried to buy a ceramic hone but wasn't going to give $180 bucks for one and that's why I went to these. Get a blank "master lap" off ebay and one of the stick on discs and try it. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you I have that much faith in them.

In fact I'm going to order a couple more tomorrow and send one to a wonderful engraver I met at the FEGA show from Australia. He's a hammer & chisel man named Damien Connolly, keep an eye out for his work; superb craftsman! Feel free to PM me any questions or post them here, I'll help all I can.

Tim,
I found a ceramic lap in a tool catalogue from Quality Gold of Cincinnati for $106.00!!! Everywhere else was as you know almost $200.00. You have to have an account to purchase one though. If you would like one for that price let me know and I will order it for you or perhaps you can set up your own account, I can not remember what the qualifications are to do so, I have had mine for awhile. Their number is ...1-9800-354-9833. The item number for the ceramic lap is JT895. Thank you very much for the other info and please let me know about the new "sharpener" What does it do differnt and price...

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Laurie,

I failed to mention earlier that if you feel you must have a ceramic stone but on the cheap side; I'd suggest getting one like Lynton used to use. I bought a "Spyderco" brand fine ceramic stone that comes in a plastic box and is I guess about 8 or 9 inches long and 2-1/2 wide.

You can spray diamond spray on that and just set it and the sharpening fixture on the same flat surface and just rub the heel on it by sweeping it back and forth, it doesn't take much. I got mine at a high end woodworking tool store and it was about $17 or 18 bucks is all. They are white in color and available in different grits; I got the finest they had.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Has anyone figured out how to resurface these expensive ceramic laps? I just used a fresh, new one at a show and it worked so much better than my old used one. I've tried all the common cleaning methods I know of (comet cleanser, ultrasonic cleaners, windex, soap & water, dishwasher, etc) and nothing seems to restore it to new condition. Seems like there ought to be a simple way to make them like new again.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Have you tried an overnight soaking in a weak acid like vinegar?or maybe the next step up with muriatic acid. ceramic disc are usually prepped with a boron carbide stone availible from most suppliers.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
No, i've not tried either one. Sounds like acid might dissolve the metal particles that clog the ceramic. Where does one buy muratic acid?

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Muriatic acid is availible at most hardware stores as a concrete etchant,it does fume,so i would recommend that this be done outside if possible.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

If you use muriatic acid make sure to use it outside or you will come into your studio the next morning to a thin coat of rust on EVERYthing that contains iron in your studio. ...And don't brathe it is nasty stuff. Will melt your nasal passages right out of your head.

Ray

Don Cowles

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, an old woodworker's trick for flattening/cleaning up stones was to rub two of them together. Takes some elbow grease, but it works. I would be inclined to use water or kerosene as a lubricant.

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
I wonder if a lapidary that has a large vibratory lapping machine would be able to resurface one? I think I may know some one. i'll call him this evening and run it by him.

cwbyengraver

old new ceramic lap

I clean my diamond and ceramic wheels with that orange smelling hand cleaner first. It cleans the diamond wheels like new in about a minute scrubbing by hand. then i go over the ceramic lap with my air eraser rince off all done

cwbyengraver

caution about acid

please dont forget if you are going to delute it fill a container with amount of water you want then pour acid in slow water first acid seconed. fred harrington showed me how to french gray with this method but he forgot to tell me what order to mix you will only make that mistske once. he didnt teach me how to spell eather ha hya

Last edited:

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
brushing the ceramic stone with toothpasta gives a good result. If you want it cleaner, you can sandblast it ( I use glass pearls)