First try at bulino

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not sure whether this is the right approach to this type of engraving, and didn't quite know how to get started, so I purchased the "Meeks Squirrel" fob from GRS. I've heard it can be done using small dots or lines.

Did I get that right? Is one style more preferrable than the other?

I would appreciate any help or criticism on the style or execution.

Sorry about the poor quality of the picture. I am still struggling with the photography part. This was the best of about a dozen pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Web squirrel.jpg
    Web squirrel.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 252

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't think you can get much help without a good photo, J Saville. It's impossible to see the cuts. Can you try again?

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Actually I just received the cocoon from Calumet that Sam Welsh spoke about on the FEGA video.I'll give it another try see how that works.

Thanks.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I live an hour north of you and have Lindsays 70v bulino template if you want to try sharpening a different point. Im in Lincroft right off the parkway 109 exit.
Keith

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Yes the Cocoon is a light difusion tent. I think with some practice it could work pretty well.

Not knowing too much about photography and lighting, I just tried it out using a halogen desk lamp and turned off the flash. These two pictures are the result. I'm not sure if the camera is supposed to be inside the tent or outside.

Sam,

I'm not sure I know exactly what a "good" picture is, I hope these are better.

Attachments

• Web squirrel2.jpg
    Web squirrel2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Web squirrel3.jpg
    Web squirrel3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 134

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Keith,

It would be great to meet you. I'm doubt that graver sharpening is my only problem, but I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. Right now I am using one of the 60 degree gravers from GRS. I bought it with the fob.

How can I get directions from exit 109 to you.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've got smalll object photography tutorial on my website - click here

And generally the camera goes just outside the dome, with the lens peeking through the / a hole.

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,

Thanks for the tuturial. I think I understand some of the basics now. I wish I had known about the kit at walmart before I spent the money on the cocoon that I really knew nothing about.

My wife is actually the photgraphy buff and has all kinds of cameras an whatever. I actually bought the cocoon for her to try. I'm just too impatient to wait for her schedule to include my pictures (I am often ready to take pictures at really odd hours, and then when she isn't available at those times I mess it up myself or just never take the pictures).

I will now show her your tuturial while she is having her breakfast tea. and try to get her to come down stairs and use it.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Sponsors