Just got home from Reno

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for posting all those photos Rod, really appreciate it thanks.

Well, I just got home an hour ago and I’m completely knackered. A very long journey but well worth the expense and time.

What can I say about the FEGA Reno show? Lots!!! For those of you that were there you know what I mean as there is so much to see and old friends to greet and hang about with. Plus the joy of meeting a few people from the forum and new members.

The awards………There are some great photos coming that need processing and they will be published in the next engraver magazine. A big thanks to Sam Welch for taking them (and a whole lot of other photos) Each year the bar is raised and the quality of the work is incredible. You’ll have to forgive me but I have a ton of notes somewhere in my suitcase which is yet to be unpacked. Joe Rundell, Barry Lee hands, Mike Dubber, Lee Griffiths and Bob Evans work was just outstanding.

FEGA Master Engraver……..Brian, congratulations, well deserved and I can tell you that when he was presented with the certificate his bum never touched the chair afterwards as he was floating about 3ft above the table we were sitting at. I suspect he's still floating!!!

Ron Smith Meeks Award……….Ron you deserved it. A beautifully engraved plaque by Mike Dubber was presented to Ron at the general meeting. It was a highly emotional moment as every person in that room gave Ron a standing ovation. It was the only time I’ve ever seen Ron at a total loss for words. Then after the meeting Ron had to hug and shake hands with everyone……….a very memorable moment and one to treasure.

The highs of the show……….well, there were so many highs that I’ll have to consult my notes but the things that really stand out is the camaraderie and exchange of knowledge and ideas. Plus the inspiration from other members and the engraving. Things that are hard to put into words until you have experienced them for yourself.

The low of the show……..Michael Puleo's death. I remember him and Carrie well from the show last year and had many good talks with him. His enthusiasm for English Scroll was contagious. A real tragedy!

Every time I go to Reno I’m astounded by the sheer generosity of the FEGA members. When I finally look at all my notes there will be a full write up in the next engraver thanking everyone properly. There were a lot of incredibly generous donations to FEGA.

As usual my accent added to the experience. Sitting down to dinner one night and the chat was going around the table so I put my two cents worth in………..I looked up and both Tira and Marty were frowning at me……….Tira leant across the table and said “What did you just say?” to which Marty added………..”Thank God you just said that because I couldn’t understand one word of it either!!!!!!

As I said, there will be a full report and photos in the next Engraver magazine which I’ll be starting work on in the next couple of weeks.

Missing you guys already............. so I may just leave my bags packed for next year

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
It was great to have you there in person instead of Andrew on a stick!
Get some rest my friend. You worked your butt off on FEGA stuff at the show.

Best, John B.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, glad you made it home.
Unfotunately, you were so busy I didn't get a chance to buy you that beer I promised.
Maybe if we meet again at either Grand Masters or Reno '10, you be so kind as to punch a hole in your schedule for a little refreshment--American Style.

It was good to see you again.

P.S. I'm working on another batch of wine. This recipe is my "Grand Masters Blend".
Smooth, Sweet, and 14%.

Andrew Biggs

John.....I loved every minute of it. It was great catching up with you and Ray again. You know, I think Ray may be just starting to understand New Zealandese :) As usual, not enough time to do everything.

Brian........I'd forgotten about that beer. So, with a years worth of interest and calculating the national debt divided by the rate of inflation.........you'll owe me 5179 beers :)

Big hugs to you all..........it was fabulous time.

Cheers
Andrew

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Time just flys there doesn't it Andrew.
Never seems enough to cover all the bases.
Glad you're home safe and sound.
Look forward to seeing your report in the next Engraver.

Best, John B.

Latest posts

Sponsors