Congratulations Brian Powley

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congrats Brian, but where is the piece that you won the award with? I bet everyone would like to see it.

Ron S

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Congrats!

Congratulations Brian!
I know that FEGA keep the plates, but Ron is right, it would be great to see that plate with the scroll, lettering, bulino, inlays....
Come on... show it to us, I bet you have a photograph.:)
Kind regards, Leonardo.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I edited the original post of this thread to include one of Brian's guns. It features an extensive multi color inlay. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the other gun he submitted for the process. :)

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulations, Brian.

Thank you for the time you spent with me discussing the process, problems and solutions involved in the inlay and finish work, a discussion that will save me much time and labor in the future.

That you are so willing to share the benefit of your experience is one of many characteristics that prove you are a true master.

Mike Fennell

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is the one Tira, I didn't see it when I first opened this thread, only Brians picture was there. Or maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to load.

Anyway, that is the one he submitted for classification along with another plate.

Pretty impressive, huh?

Ron S

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I must apologize for appearing to "lay low" during the comments on this thread, but we are experiencing an ice storm that is knocking down power lines and phone lines.
Just about the time all of the digital clocks get reset, the lights go out and the phones go dead.
I'll try to get this posted before we experience another power failure.

I must say that I'm overwhelmed by the "pats on the back" by all that have taken the time to do so.
I sincerely thank all of you for your kind words and comments.

Thanks Tira for editing your original post to display the Colt. I also posted it on my web:http://www.powleyengraving.com
I have a picture of the rifle "somewhere" in the stack of stuff. I'll get to that one later.

The Colt is my tribute to my hero,my good friend,my mentor and the "Godfather" of multi-color inlay, Ron Smith.
Ron has literally walked me through this project from start to finish,has generously spent hours talking to me and returning emails on this project, praised me where I was right, corrected me where I was wrong, and challenged me to think outside the box. It was a hard project. Ron encouraged me to make it even harder.

Some of the techniques were obvious, some he had kept "under his hat"....A hat he actually gave me.(Boy---that's a story all by itself)

Ron Smith was the recipient of the James B. Meek Award this year. For those who do not know, the James B. Meek Award is probably the most prestigious award an engraver could receive.
In my humble opinion,Everthing else pales in comparison.
Ron Smith has given so much of his life to this artform, I can't express enough words of gratitude.

Oh, Ron....you've given us so much more than we could ever give you.
I thank you for the inspiration behind this project(and the next one),your guidance,your friendship and your love of the art of engraving.
A truer friend could never be found in this lifetime.
God Bless You.

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
I think I saw that gun in a cartoon once... Beautiful work of colors...
Very inspiring to say the least.
Jeff

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations Brian. Sorry I wasn't there to see you get your appropriate recognition.

Bill

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow buddy,

Thanks for the kudos, but you did the work, and that is the hard part.

Don't look back, my friend. I'm proud of you!

Forward!!

Ron S

Andrew Biggs

Congratulations Brian!!

Very well deserved.....and what's more Brian gets his photo in the local Reno paper the next day with a great writeup about the FEGA/ACGG show. I'll scan it and post in the next few days.

Fantastic!!

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors