Parrot Vise

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Here is something I have been meaning to post for a while. I know there are some people out there who just do not have the money for a ball vise. Here is a possible alternative. It is called a Parrot vise and it swivels and can be used sideways also. It is made strong. It is just a suggestion. It is less than fifty dollars most places on the internet and can even be found on ebay.

Attachments

• Parrot vise 1.jpg
    Parrot vise 1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Parrot vise 2.jpg
    Parrot vise 2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 144

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought a couple at a hardware store for 40 bucks apeice a couple of years ago. They sure are handy for the price. Seth

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
money, no matter how one tries to slice it, isnt easy to come by. Still, you get what you pay for. I hesitated to spend about $500 for a ball vise, but i was also aware id really be limiting my progression by buying anything less than something that was up to anything i deceided to put into it to engrave, and hold up in the long-run. Ive only been at this over a year, but, never short-change yourself by throwing money out the window either. Get something that will enhance your work, not add to it, i.m.o.

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
not trying to start another tool war.I too have a parrot vise and it's really nice when making black powder rifles because you can rotate the stock all over the place.However,when engraving I find it to be kind of cumbersome,while a ball vise for engraving is worth the money spent on it.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
It probably beats a bowling ball as was suggested here before! I did not say it was better than a ball vise or even nearly as good but it would work for a while. Several of the guys here that have been engraving for a while use other types of vises. If you are absolutely sure you are going to be an engraver for a living even though you are new at it, then by all means spend thousands on a vise and books and sharpening fixtures and air tools and the whole works. It would be a good investment.

Last edited:

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Mack, i wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers. I also see what your ideas were going, to put tools in the hands of engravers at an reasonable price.. For myself; i knew as a hammer and graver only guy, that my biggest investment would be the vise. However; if i had to start all over again, my best investment would to get some training / schooling, before i had done anything else. After i had purchased my vise and gravers, then i called around, they pointed me in the direction of the I-GRAVER. Better late than never. Schooling has been out of the question for two years, as my wife had cancer and there was no way for me to attend classes.At least there is much on theses pages to help us along our way, plus theses fellows will bend over backwards to help out the new-comers..

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
You did not ruffle my feathers. After reading what I wrote I can see how you would take it that way. I just meant there are people out there who have little options. I've been through a bankruptcy and lost my home. There is no money for a vise or even another graver. I make what I need and get by on what I have. One day everything will be different, but I am sure there are others on this forum with no money and possibly simular circumstances. It is embarasing sometimes to say so. I was just trying to help with that. I am fortunate to have an old ball vise that I repaired. Not everyone is. This is an extremely difficult art to learn. I think Persistance and determination are maybe the most important tools. Having the money to buy really good tools is probably a close second. I am so happy to have met the people on this forum, including yourself who freely give their opinions and advice in an effort to help others. As far as money goes, A man with ten million dollars is probably no happier than a man with nine million. LOL

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i bought one of these 2 years ago. i find it handy for some standup work. although not a vise, i also bought a record work positioner. i replaced the orriginal .5" short shaft with a longer one. to that i welded a pipe flange and made a gunstock cradle. and a host of other things can be put in place of the cradle. shown is a drilled and tapped nylon disk for holding stuff. very handy. the record positioner is nice for light duty carving and such.

Attachments

• RECORD.JPG
    RECORD.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 51
  • RECORD X.JPG
    RECORD X.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Sponsors