Simple things from simple minds

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, so the ever-indulgent wife got me the set of inside ring holders for Christmas (after noting that she didn't have any engraved rings).

So, we hit Wal-Mart for an inexpensive sterling silver ring and I did some fiddling about with some brass practice rings I had around. I came up with a nice little 'flower' (more on that later) and a simple overall design. Finally got a chance to do it last weekend, by which time she'd pretty much forgotten about the whole thing so it turned out to be a nice surprise.

One of the reasons for the delay in getting to trying a ring was that I had an idea for a simple layout tool for rings and had to wait until I had a chance to create it.

The first two pictures are that tool (some assembly required). Print them off at 2" x 3" and laminate them together (hint, if you lay them out with a long side touching you can cut them out as one piece and fold it in half). I happen to have a laminator and the business card size pouches but if you don't the local office-supply or copy place will.

I decided that 12 flowers would work well on a small ring (she has tiny fingers) so I laid the ring over the 12-segment side, used the concentric circles to get it centered and then used a Sharpie to mark the segments.
The layout 'tool' allows you to pick any fraction of 12 or 16 sections as appropriate to your design.

I took more time doing the flowers than I probably needed to. For each one I daubed some clay on the segment, used my dividers to mark the ring's center line, used a #4 bead punch for the center and then used my HandyTemplate to mark a 5/32" circle around the center. The circle was just to help me keep the 'petals' consistent in size and probably wasn't needful but I wanted this to come out nice.

The 'flowers' are a very simple design that I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with. The only work when very small, of course, but they're quick and cute.

Bead punch or otherwise make your center and then just do 8 little diamond shaped plunge cuts to form the petals. I did mine in this order:
5 1 6
3 * 4
7 2 8
because it helped me get them neatly spaced and aligned.

The ever-indulgent wife must like it - she's been wearing it since I gave it to her. That's why I don't have a good picture yet, just a quick snap of it on her finger. :)

Attachments

• lfring.jpg
    lfring.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 272
  • rdiv12.jpg
    rdiv12.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 198
  • rdiv16.jpg
    rdiv16.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 159

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A good Idea Steve, I sometimes make template myself but this one I don't have.
Next time I have to divide a circle in equal parts I shall use it and think about you. :D

arnaud

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
this is one I just finished. Had to do it at work so no power hone and a real crappy scope. Did the petals reversed and the leaves as you did, but added a cap cut to the outside, to provide definition. He didn't want a center to the flower.
Will

Attachments

• HPIM1369.jpg
    HPIM1369.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 179

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried a version with a cap cut but the way I was doing it I didn't think it looked as good as the simpler design.

Isn't it great the way the mind takes a simple shape that's similar to another, well known shape and says "Oh, that must be a flower."

I'll bet you could cover a practice plate with little flowers like this all done in slightly different ways.

Arnuad
Glad my 20 minutes of layout will be of help! :)
It's the kind of thing that someone could sell but is it worth the effort when (now that I've drawn it once) you just have to print it out?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Cafe member TallGary gave me a set of similar templates awhile back. They work well

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good idea Sam!

So far it looks like I get to go to BLADE and the Engrave-in so I might make up some to bring along.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With proper sizing, Steve's templates can be used to mark off spacing for repetitious designs at the rear of a revolver's cylinder.

CRB

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, thanks for the template. A big help to me. It seems that I always struggle becuase I am too darn lazy to make my own templates. The ring looks very good also. Seth

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
The ring looks great. And thanks for sharing the template info with us. That will come in real handy for me.

Stewart