Engraving Vise

ldezan@ramed.com

Just received a new engraving vise (from china), It is heavily impacted with thick grease and is difficult to turn. Other than cleaning off the grease, can anyone tell me how to maintain the vise and prevent rusting? Thanks, Grizzly

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There's very little (if any) maintenance in an engraving vise other than keeping chips out of the jaw screw threads. Unless yours is different, just clean off the grease and use it. Rust is not that uncommon on unplated parts and nothing to really worry about.

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
Just received a new engraving vise (from china), It is heavily impacted with thick grease and is difficult to turn. Other than cleaning off the grease, can anyone tell me how to maintain the vise and prevent rusting? Thanks, Grizzly

I think the best way to keep it from rusting is to use it daily.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is it grease or cosmiline, cosmiline is a sticky brown stuff only thing I know that cleans it is gasoline, only use out side :eek:

Ed Douglas

Kerosene is the best to remove cosmoline! I had to degrease several Thompson Mags a few months ago, and it makes it melt away! :>)
Big Ed.

Ed Douglas

Where did ya find that Chinese Vise?
was the cost reasonable???

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
been usin a magna block for maybe 30 years. it gets dirty sometimes, but never a trace of rust. i think it has a frosted chrome finish on the ball bottom. the plain steel jaws never rusted.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
As someone stated, using the vise constantly will prevent rusting. You should not have a problem with it. But if for some reason you do, just wipe it with WD-40 or gun oil on a rag. Just a very light coat is all it neens.
Carl

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with Dulltool on this one....really hot water and lots of elbow grease! We couldn't use anything else in the barracks. Plt 236, 2nd Battallion, Parris Island, July 1965.

Bill