Flat Graver heel sharpening problem solved!

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
First a huge thank you to all who offered their advice and suggestions to help me solve my problems getting a straight across heel (belly) on my flat gravers with the GRS single angle fixture. I tried them all and really appreciate the time thought and effort put into them, but I'm sad to say nothing worked to solve the problem. That is....until Sam our Engraving guru suggested I look up Mike Cirelli's tip on how to amend a flat graver to fit into the dual angle sharpening fixture I love so much. Thank you Sam and thank you Mike for the answer to my prayers-the problem is now a thing of the past as well as my single angle fixture.

I won't badmouth anybody or anything but it just didn't work for me as it should have, and I'll be the first to admit it's probably operator error on my part of poor technique as not all others have had the same issues I experienced. My personal opinion is that the dual angle sharpening fixture is a solid and great piece of engineering-I love that thing. The single angle is a good idea but I think it could be of a better design somehow. I'll return it to have it recalibrated, GRS stands behind their work and I love the company and the people that work for them. If it works after that great but I'll still use the dual angle for all my gravers-NOW it's a one tool does all item-Yeeee Haaaa!

Mike's post can be found here( http://www.igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4103 ) Ten to fiteen minutes later after amending my flat to fit the dual angle fixture I had the best darn heel one ever saw! In fat it was better than perfect and not off to one side in the slightest degree, a new sight for these sore eyes. Thanks again Mike for your wonderful insight and posting that tip/tutorial, it's made a world of difference and my work will eagerly await showing that.
Paul

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paul that's great that you found the top relief grind useful. I don't think I would ever sharpen a flat with the dual angle fixture any other way again.
Sometimes we look for answers over the horizon when we should be looking right at our feet.

Latest posts

Sponsors