Simple Gold Job

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like everyone has gone or is going to Reno, so here's something for the rest to look at even if the pics are a bit fuzzy!
Phil

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mr. Phil ---- Amazing as usual ! I particularly like the woodcock but can't quite tell what color it's eye is ?? How high do you think the raised inlays are in general ? Now that you have sufficently shamed the rest of us, you can go back to work. I was feeling pretty good about my work until seeing this piece. Ah welll .......

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil,

Spectacular as always. that "net" for lack of a better term, is truely amazing-can not imagin the time required for such an inlay. I know that you referred to this as a "simple" job and I am sure not as coomplicated as your multi colored side lever Nelson but truely beautiful work. Thank you for taking the time to inspire and educate those of us who aspire to gain the skills to do "simple" jobs-Fred

Andrew Biggs

Hi Phil

I love the heading "Simple Gold Job" I better look up the word simple in the dictionary again as there seems to be a Welsh definition and a New Zealand one :)

Fabulous work and beautiful as always. The gold very much gives the appearance of foreground and background............just gorgeous!!!

Only 2 sleeps till Reno now..........Yes!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mr. Phil ---- Amazing as usual ! I particularly like the woodcock but can't quite tell what color it's eye is ?? How high do you think the raised inlays are in general ? Now that you have sufficently shamed the rest of us, you can go back to work. I was feeling pretty good about my work until seeing this piece. Ah welll .......
Ken,
It's eye is a very light turquoise fading into an ultramarine blue with irridecant burnt and raw umber speckles of colour flowing out in a spiral pattern......but I guess the picture is'nt good enough to show this.:)
The gold is about 0.5mm thick sheet.

Phil

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Simple? As usual, anything from you is anything but! It is however, a perfect example of meticulous work from a skilled and gifted engraver.
Thanks for sharing.
gailm

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Okayyyy -- I guess I should have asked how hight the gold was above the surface. It is definitely high art as it is sculpted work & sometimes refered to as coinface. Now that you mention it --- I can see the colors of the eye --- how did you do that ? Oh well, back to the bench to play catch up BUT, I never seem to be able to. Darn you Phil !!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stunning.

Perhaps you could post a complicated piece so we can differentiate!:D

Those gamebirds are just spectacular and have a dimensional look to them. The checkered or weave pattern is very interesting too. Is that done by weaving gold wire then applying it?

Peter

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil.
On the very small gold cross hatching , is that inlaid wire or overlaid on a cross hatch?
Hope I'm not asking for a trade secret.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, I'm with Tony, Where's the simple part? This is Outstanding work, Lofty Lofty goals you're setting for me ;) I love it all but I really love those little corners, those little bitty lines, or screens if you will are breathtaking! Your work is something else! Thanks for sharing, Dwayne

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Simple maybe a little overstated.....but to me this gun compared to for example the Nelson side lever multi-gold,(Posted here some months back) it is.

The cross hatch is flush, the wire is thinner than 0.2mm about 0.15mm if that's the way you write it.

Ken, I don't know the hight of the gold above the surface, but the cutout is quite shallow, infact if you want to get extra relief from thinner plate, only remove the area around the inside edge of the bird etc and undercut this, key the rest as usual, this of course only applies to relief work.

Phil

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil.
Thank you very much for the explanation. You fit my definition of a master engraver. Your work is very inspiring to me. I have been looking at it and admiring it for years.

Latest posts

Sponsors