inlay question

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have to finish an over-under shotgun that my late boss started. He hogged out an oval on the side of a Ruger 20ga o/u, and I would like to do an inlay for the new owner. My intention is to do a Quail in 24K, raised, on an oval of Argentium, with scroll in the silver. The total size is 2" long by 1" high. I know how to price the engraving, but have never done inlay. Any guidelines as to pricing?
Thanks, Will

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I'll try this another way.
I expect the inlay and engraving to take around 10 hours. At $60/hr that is $600. The silver and gold are about $50 actual value, but $100 for the purpose of retail. My intention is to charge $750 for the job. My question is, "Is that underpricing, or overpricing the market? Or is that in line with what an engraved oval inlay should be?
I know there are way too many variables to say exactly what it should be, and that everybody's speed is different. I just want to make sure that I am in the ballpark with what more experienced engravers charge, because it is establishing a baseline for future work.
Am I in the right area?
Thanks, Will

Andrew Biggs

Hi Will

That's a really difficult one. There are so many variables.

The price you have worked out sounds reasonable to me but I'm not banking the cheque or paying for the job.

If you are confident with your pricing and the hours you've calculated then go for it.......I would probabley bang on another couple of hours for a bit of breathing space. The trouble with quoting is that initially you are guessing and it's only experince that you can quote more confidentley. Even then you can get caught out sometimes

But then again we all need the work and the income. Then there is also things like skill level, reputation etc etc.........So it's not an easy answer to give you I'm sorry.

It's a constant balancing act between what the customer will pay and what you want/need out of the job financially. But I do like your thinking of $60 an hour and that you are marking up the gold :)

Cheers
Andrew

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew,
I know there isn't a hard and fast answer, I just don't want to be too far from the correct price, adjusted for speed and skill.
My late Father did his Doctoral work at Massey University, Palmerston North. He said, that as a world traveler, The Kiwis were consistently the nicest people he had met anywhere, and the years he spent in New Zealand were some of the most enjoyable of his long and active life. I haven't yet been able to visit, but hope to do so while his friends are still around.
I also love the Maori influence that you bring into your engraving. I think it shows pride in your heritage, and ingenuity as an original engraver. Thanks for posting your work
Will

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Will

Obviousley your father was a man of impecible taste :)

The Palmerston North area is a beautiful part of New Zealand and Massey University is a big campus. I spent some time in the army up there when I first started my signwriting apprenticeship and enjoyed it, but that was a long time ago so it would have changed a lot now.

Cheers
Andrew

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
He was at Massey in 1969-'70, then took a position at the University of Montana on the Staff of Geography. He established a course in Pacific Rim studies, and for 10 years he took a class to New Zealand every January-March.
When interest in the class died down, He and his fishing buddy, Tom Collins, along with their travel agent, arranged tours in January-Feb. My dad was a world class golfer, knew all the head pros at the private courses there, and could get tee times for those who wished to play at World Championship grade courses. Tom would take those who would rather experience catching 15-20lb German Brown trout, and all the other great fly fishing in New Zealand, and the female travel agent would take all the Gents wives on a special tour of both islands. Then, after all the clients had returned, they would enjoy a 2-3 week vacation, with their spouses, in the dead of our winter, all expenses paid.
I think it was one of the smartest schemes I have ever heard of, and everybody involved thanked them for the opportunity of a life time, to experience a trip for the golfing, fishing and tourist interest with people that knew their stuff.
The ambasaddor from New Zealand refered a questions about New Zealand to my father on more than one occasion. He was a wealth of information, and loved New Zealand.
I regret that I was not able to make a trip there with him before he passed away, but I still have the stories, the deer skin jackets, the home spun wool and the paua shell for jewelry
Thanks again, Will

Andrew Biggs

Hi Will

That is a wonderful story and a real treasure chest of memories about your Dad. I'm sorry that he is no longer with us and finally had to make the journey through the underworld to Cape Reinga.

A mighty Totara has fallen.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors