Rolex 904 stainless...engravable?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It seems like I saw one engraved years ago. Anyone ever cut any Rolex stainless steel? Standard watch case stainless steel (316L) is bad enough, and I'm pretty sure 904 is even worse.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know Seiko's stainless is virtually unengraveable. I think it may be cause the cases are stamped where Rolex cases may actually be machined. Just dig in what the hell it's only a watch:)

Sam

Staff member
I think Rolex die cuts the blanks first and then machines them. That die strike probably work-hardens the steel even more.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just had to ask that Sam.
While I don't know a ton about watches I know that usually if it is machined you will have a decent chance of engraving it. I know it applies to gun stuff. I did some watch cases that were cast that were wicked and same for gun parts. Common sense says that if the metal was machined, the cutters used for that are usually about the same stuff we use to engrave. Not in every case but a good starting point.
Any way to find out just how the cases are made?

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think 904 is unique to Rolex production so its a tough question. I managed to engrave the back of my old Omega without too many problems but the stainless clasp was another story. Likewise I engraved someone's Omega clasp at the Game Fair a few years back and a Rolex owner asked me to put his name on his clasp and it was horrible! I don't know if rolex use the same steel for their straps as the watch case though.

Good luck is all I can say and if it's probably fair tho warn the client of the potential problems unless you happen to have a few grand hanging around for a new watch! Ouch, I can't bear the thought.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam, I know zero about watch engraving but is it possible to make a test cut on the inside of the case back?
Just cutting a single line border following the shape of the case?
Unless it's glass hard you might be able to start the cut with carbide and then see if your regular graver material will finish the line.
But I'm sure you have thought of all this. Just my ramblings.

Best, John.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
I engrave them pretty often and they're a pretty good cut. Not sure of the steel number, these are the basic steel Rolex cases. I use the QC flat tools and a Lindsay carbalt tool for any type of letter cutting. And even used a couple of Muller liners when I engraved a coat of arms on the back of one a few years ago.

If your cutting a new watch from an authorized dealer you should be able to get a replacement back for a reasonable ( Rolex's version of reasonable :rolleyes:) price in case things go wrong.

Allan

Sam

Staff member
Allan: Do you have any photos of an engraved stainless steel Rolex? I don't recall seeing any, but something in the back of my mind says Robert Swartley engraved one once.

Many thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I am currently overhauling my 66' GMT Master, you're welcome to try it out for engravability while the guts are out of the case.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Allan: Do you have any photos of an engraved stainless steel Rolex? I don't recall seeing any, but something in the back of my mind says Robert Swartley engraved one once.

Nope.. basically I only do inscriptions and monograms in a situation where the work comes in and goes out kind of quickly so we don't think of taking photos of what we do. We don't do any scroll work and very little ornamentation and compared to what we do Robert Swartley's level of engraving work is in the next galaxy over.

Allan

Sam

Staff member
I forgot you were overhauling your GMT, Tim. I wonder if they used 904 back in '66. I recently acquired a modern GMT and was thinking about engraving it. I just remember 316L being a royal pain and was wondering if 904 was better or worse.

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
So what is the consensis, I have a 2007 Submariner and can't tell if we decided it is engravable or not. I'm assuming that the case is the same material as Sam's GMT but then you know what they say about assuming

Sam

Staff member
I'm 99.9% sure they're the same, David. No one seems to have done any scroll engraving on the case, though.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I'll add what I can here .....

I did not know that 904 was actually used for anything. It's been typically replaced by 316 because it is less expensive and that's because of the nickel content. Overall properties are similar such as corrosion resistance and hardness. The inverse proportion of nickel to iron is the main difference. I guess the higher nickel / lower iron 904 would be more desirable in a watch because it won't magnetize enough to affect the movement over long periods of time. I can't say how it would cut but the fact that 316 is used as a substitute might give you some idea. The higher nickel content might make it slightly softer. How do I know this? (you may be wondering) .... I spent a little time in a machine shop that turned out surgical instruments. I maintained their computer systems and when the boss was out I made motorcycle parts with the 300 series stuff.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, are you cutting the case or watch back? I've just remembered that many years ago, whilst visiting a friend in Maine, I engraved a Submariner watch back with a name and inscription for a doctor who'd been out in Vietnam with it. I was hand pushing back then and I don't remember any problems at all.

Sam

Staff member
Chirs: Thanks for your comments on 904. This is from the Rolex website:
"Rolex uses 904L steel for its steel watch cases. 904L is usually reserved for the chemical industry, where maximum resistance against corrosion is essential. A super alloy, 904L is extremely tough and highly polishable."

Marcus: I was considering engraving the case, not necessarily the back. Your experience with the Submariner certainly doesn't indicate any problems with the steel.

~Sam

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I have a day just 1987, I'll cut a test cut on it when I get to the shop and let you know...
Jerry

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Jerry! I'm thinking a GMT could be very pretty engraved. So would a Date Just for that matter.

Latest posts

Sponsors