Compressor

maryw

TAYLORS, SC (BETWEEN GREENVILLE & SPARTANBURG
Just wondering if those of you who have the Silent Compressor from GRS are pleased/happy with your purchase. Would you buy it again if given the choice? Any dissatisfaction, comments? I am planning to get one and would like to hear your comments - pro and con. Thanks so much.
Mary W

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mary: I've had the Sil-Air compressor about 4 years now. Not a minutes trouble with it, and I run 2 Gravermachs on it when I teach. I used noisy compressors for years and this is SO much better. / ~Sam

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
Completely agree with Sam, the money spend on the compressor is worth it. But we bougth it in Europe from manufacturer (Italy).

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought the small compressor they sell - the same one they use at shows. GRS saw a picture of my bench and that I have it right at my feet and very kindly sent me a 'muffler' for it. The muffler is a piece of tubing that extends the air filter out a bit. It's just there to damp down the sharp hiss you get when it reaches pressure, which wasn't that bad to begin with (but did scare the cats).

I have no problems with it purring along as I work and don't have to raise the volume on the music I'm listening to. Note: I did add a 10-gallon air tank in line to give me a bigger reserve since I've got the little 2-gallon one. I only need the extra air if I'm using my air-hungry rotary tool or I'm using an air hose to blow things clean.

Just before Christmas I picked up a cheap compressor at the hardware store - actually I considered it 'free' because I was after the 'free' brad nailer that came with it. Now that thing is noisy! :eek: I ran it once inside and won't do it again without ear protection. I may run it outside (when it's warm) without ear plugs but I'll have to test to see.

Andrew Biggs

I use the Jun-Air which is very similar and also a silent compressor. The Jun-Air is about the same noise level as a fridge. It's fantastic. You can work away all day without the noise driving you nuts!!! So I would highly recommend a silent compressor as they are well worth the money if you have to have it in the room where you are working.

Cheers
Andrew

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the silent air compressor that GRS sells and I have never had to bother with it. Works like a dream, and yes, I would buy it all over again for engraving. Seth

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A couple of considerations. Do go for a good quality name though whichever silent compressor you intend to buy. And make sure the tank is big enough so it doesn't cycle more than 4 or 5 times an hour otherwise it will get very hot.

There are cheap Chinese made silent compressors out there. Avoid them like the plague! From personal experience, the grief and lost time far outweighs the extra cost of an Italian made Sil-Air.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also have the Sil-Air purchased from GRS. The ONLY negative I could mention is, as KCSteve mentioned, if you use a high speed rotary tool steadily, such as the GRS 850, the Sil-Air gets HOT.

For powering the various engraving handpieces it is flawless.

Peter

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter

Take a tip I got from here on the forums - go by your local auto or hardware store and get one of the 10 gallon (or even larger if you have the room) 'portable air tanks'. Hook it into your air line and you've now added to your air capacity.

With some help from JB at GRS mine is rigged so I can remove it from the line if I don't need it (or actually want to take that 10 gallons of pressurized air somewhere). It came with a valve to turn it off / on so usually if I don't need it I just turn it off rather than re-rig the plumbing but it's good to have options.

My compressor does run longer when it's refilling the composite 12-gallon tank but it's never hit it's thermal cut off yet. :)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter

Take a tip I got from here on the forums - go by your local auto or hardware store and get one of the 10 gallon (or even larger if you have the room) 'portable air tanks'. Hook it into your air line and you've now added to your air capacity.

Steve - Once you add the supplemental air tank does that keep the Sil-Air from getting hot? I assume with the extra capacity it doesn't need to cycle on much.

J.B. is a very good resource. The couple of times I needed help he provided it explicitly, and he is a pleasure to talk to.

I'll have to check out an air tank. Is it the vertical type such as would be used for oxygen to weld or solder?

Thanks,
Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
The Sil-Air is available from GRS with an auxillary cooling fan that attaches to the handle.
I've had my 5-6 gallon (I forget which) compressor for years and it came without an auxillary fan.
California can get warm so I went to Radio Shack and bought a Cooling Fan catalog
model 273-0241, 20,000 hour life expectancy for about $25.00.
Made a little bracket bar with rubber gromets and mounted it to the pipe handle.
I have a switch on the plug that provides power to the compressor and hooked the almost silent fan to run all the time the compressor is in use rather than just when it cycles on.
Hint.... turn off the power to your compressor when not in use to avoid a burn out from a power spike on the line. And drain the tank every time you use the compressor it and it will last for many years.
Like KC Steve said adding an auxillary tank cuts way down on the cycling and heat when using a high speed dental style rotary tool.
You can get an extra tank from Harbor Freight and other tool suppliers for a few bucks.

Best, John B.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had already 2 compressors, but instead of mounting a oil filter as GRS advices when you don't use a oil less compressor, I have bought me a new one.
It is a fast one but not a silent one, I don't care because my ears are not in good condition.
I'm a little bit deaf without my hearing. :D

arnaud

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My Sil-Air did come with the cooling fan and in hot summer weather it effectively keeps the compressor cool when using an engraving handpiece.

If I use the GRS 850 (which I think is the same as the NSX 300,000 - 400,000 rpm handpiece), it gets VERY hot even with the fan on after about 10 -15 minutes use.

I think i'll look into getting a supplemental tank.

Thanks for the info,
Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors