Help, please: New England Engravers

Georgette

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Are there any Engravers in New England? I would love to hear from you and maybe we can get together and learn from each other. I am just learning engravers but am an acomplished artist of different sorts. Check out my web site to see what I can teach you if you help me with the engraving.
http://mainenatureart.com

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Georgette, and welcome to the Cafe forum.

Sam Alfano, our host has a great video and information on sharpening that I think would show you all you need. Sharpening is very important to engraving, as you know.
Sam is a professional engraver and teacher and very patient, you can play the instructions over and over if you miss something the first time.

Also, I think if you search some of the older posts you can find some information on the location of many of the members and maybe some in your area.
Then maybe you could PM them and see if they are willing to help you.
I believe Abigail and Tira both had posts with members locations.
You might search some of their earlier posts. There are a lot of engravers In the New England States.
Just one great one that comes to mind is George Spring, Google the name and see if you can get a contact number for him and if he has time to help you.
I think George is still working for Colt Firearms Company and might be too busy.

Another possible source of information on engravers in your part of the country is Ray Phillips of the Ngraver Company in CT, phone 860-823-1533 or www.ngraver.com
Ray may know the names of some engravers that may be willing to help you.

But the video will allow you to learn in your own shop at your own pace, just a thought.

Best of luck in your engraving Journey
John B.

Last edited:

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
New Hampshire engraver here

Hi Georgette, how exciting to have another engraver here from New England! I live in the seacoast area of NH so we're both geographically challenged :) Drop me a line anytime (pauldpotter@comcast.net) ( http://www.cowboyblacksmith.com ) and we can brainstorm engraving-and welcome to the gorup, it'll be all you wanted it to be and more!
Paul

PS: attached is a belt buckle I made in steel over the past day or two and French Greyed , I think with this one I'm starting to "get it" with bright cutting or at least fake it until I make it :) Finally I'm going the free hand route and drawing directly onto the buckle and coming up with what fits, rather than be tied down to transfers and the like. It'll be a long time until I consider myslef an accomplished drawer but I'm forcing myself to stick with it and actually enjoy sketching now :) I like the bull head a lot, it comes from a Greek "Ryton", a ceremonial ceramic cup shaped like a horn. Anytime I can incoroprate something from ancient civilizations art work I try to-there's tons of influences to be had there-especailly with Greek art.
Cheers, Paul

Attachments

• Minoan-bull-buckle.jpg
    Minoan-bull-buckle.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 91

Georgette

Thank you very much for all the information. I have the sharpening video and some of the engraving video's and have watched them over and over and over, I just want to do it so badly but the sharpening thing just has me stumped for some reason. I have taught myself many things, like air brushing and relief carving, etc. but this one is different. I know I will do fine once I start, but I have had the equipment for 2 years now and still I have not followed my dream, but this is my winter to go forward with this, that is why I am here, I am not afraid to ask for help and not afraid to share what I know, that is what keeps us all moving forward. I will check into the options that you gave me, thank you very much.
Georgette

Georgette

Paul, thank you for your responce. I will check out your site. The buckle is very nice, far from what I can do for sure, I can't even get buy the sharpening bit.

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Georgette, I am in New Haven, CT., www.lantuch.com
You can learn a lot from this forum, all members of the Cafe are generous and spreading knowledge all around the Globe without hesitation, please, joint the club, welcome!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Georgette,

I am wondering if your expectations might be a little out of proportion? If you have followed the instructions given, you might be making the facets too long or trying to engrave too deep. That is a common problem with newbies. Everyone does it. are you slipping around on the metal or what? If you describe the problems, we might be able to pin point the cause.

Now, lets get down to some specifics. Engraving takes an extreme amount of practice because you are trying to teach your hands to be sensitive to microscopic movements.

This is no easy task. Once you understand the dynamics of point geomitry etc., you can get ging relatively quickly, but it still takes a mountain of practice to cut an accurate line consistently. Engraving is not like anything you have ever tried before of ev er will.

The focus and application is very intense. If you are already lucky to have good hand eye co-ordination, that will help some.

Let us know what is happening when you try. Do you just dig in and can't go forward or what? Need more information.

Ron S

armcarve

Hi Georgette,
I am located in Southeastern Connecticut. It's a bit of a drive from where you are, but I would be glad to help.
Amy Armstrong

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Georgette,
Welcome to the forum. I live in central CT which is a LONG way from ME. Perhaps if you state the equipment you have and what specifically is giving you sharpening difficulties, we may be able to provide more assistance.

Peter

Georgette

Oh my, you are all so very generous with your help, thank you all so very much. I have taught myself to air brush, to relief carve and to paint, so I am not affraid of the engraving, and am aware that it will take hours of practice to get good, and that is OK, I just can't really understand the the sharpening, but I will get together with someone and as long as I can have them show me hands on, I will get it. I think that if I had gravers that I did not have to shape I might be better off. With all your help I will make it, I feel so much better knowing that there is so much help amoug all of you so it has given me a new feeling of confidence. Don't be surprised if I call on all of you and show up at your door step for some help.
a very grateful Georgette

Georgette

Hey, thanks, it means alot to me that everyone is so supportive, I have found someone close by that is willing to help get me started, as soon as i get a few things done I will be sure to post them for everyone to critique, OK? Watch for me in the future, I am here to stay.

Latest posts

Sponsors