Copper Engraving

Hallo everybody,

I`m new in this forum. I want to make my first post of an engraving. I copied a picture of Albrecht Dürer an German engraver who was born in 1470. I pinted out the picture and transfered it with a pencil and " Grafitpaper" on a wite painted copper plate ( 20x30mm). I used a manual 120° engraver.
The blackening and varnishing aren`t good. Please tell me onest waht you Think about it...

Greetings from Germany...

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Very very nice!! That's a lot of hand pushing.

Dürer's work is outstanding and he was a brilliant man. Did you have to fold over the edges of the copperplate? It helps maintain the rigidity of the plate while working on it and if you plan on framing it. It definitely needs to be framed.

Chris

Last edited:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
WOW! Looks pretty time consuming, makes you appreciate all of the old burin pushers who did'nt have our technology but sure had the human artistic drive and disipline.
Jeff

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hallo Sebastian,
das sieht phantastisch aus - wie lange hast Du dafür gebraucht? Könntest Du mir die Transfer-Methode etwas genauer beschreiben?

Mario

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello Sebastian, and welcome to the Cafe! We're happy to have you join us with your interesting kind of engraving. You might be one of the only copperplate engravers here!
~Sam

SpiderCurt

Hi Sebastian

My German is not very good but it is good enough that I can say I agree with Mario's "das sieht phantastisch aus"!

Keep up the good work :)

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
My German is awful but I can say that is really cool in English. How's that? Mack

catnip

I did some copper plate engraving as an apprentice; nothing at all like what I see here. I think its excellent; and without using a threader too. It's very encouraging. I must have a try.

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This looks like a very ambitious project for such a young engraver. Copying the works of masters is a great way to learn too. I wonder if you are planning to pull any prints from this plate?

I did some copper plate engraving as an apprentice; nothing at all like what I see here. I think its excellent; and without using a threader too. It's very encouraging. I must have a try.

I think I have one of these "threaders" you're talking about, but I don't think it's complete. Do you have one, or have any info on them? A friend of mine made me one that does basically the same thing but it's completely different. Is there another name for these machines?

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scratchmo,

I think "threader" is what the British call a liner or parrallel line graver. I have seen the term used for a liner in a booklet by Geoffery Casbard.

CRB

Last edited:

catnip

Hi, Sebastian.
Needed to have another look at your work. Have you filled the engraving in. If so could you tell what you used. Regards Tony

Thanks everybody for your feedback,

I don`t understand the word "threader" Is it another word for graver?
I used a 120° flat graver by Sam`s tutorial. Here is a picture of it:

For the transfer I needed 9-12. Thats when I realised I have to try a transfer method, presented on the forum. Engraving took me 20-30 ours.

@ catnip
I filled the engraving with black "refill ink" for a edding marker. I put the ink with a peece of plastic over the plate to make sure there isn`t too much ink on it . When it was dry i rubed over the plate with toilet paper fixed on a straight peece of steel. I put some "Nitro Verdünnung" on the paper to remove the ink from the plate. You have to make sure the peece of steele or somtinh else is straigt so it wont remove the ink out of your engraved lines...

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sebastian ,

Very nice work

Dürer is a great source for inspiration.

Why haven’t you cut a reverse image? The numbers would be reversed if you make an intaglio print of your plate :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. as to my comments: simply fantastic work ! comes to mind. quite beautiful.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Sebastian, it looks nice what you posted, I was just wondering does a copperplate as it is meant to be printed, does not need to be mirrored?

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors