Recently Finished Spurs

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Here are a couple of pairs of spurs that I recently finished. I am still working hard to improve my engraving. Some days it feels like I am making a little progress, other days not so much. I do understand however that the key is just keep pushing forward.

Attachments

• highnoon2Resized.jpg
    highnoon2Resized.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 231
  • highnoon3Resized.jpg
    highnoon3Resized.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 240

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think that you can be proud of those sets. I would be. Very Nice!, and thanks for posting, Seth

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
Denny: it is obvious to me that you are improving! On the first pair is that a silver inlay, overlay or is the steel carved down that much I can't tell from the photo. I wouild guess overlay. The second pair is my favorite...I like the rowells better and all the silver work! Great job!..........Owen
www.walkergoldsmiths.com

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Owen

It is fine line silver inlay on the band with all the engraving in the steel. The shank is sterling overlay. This is the pair that was half done when you came for a visit.

For everyone,

The pair of spurs with wire inlay was inlaid and engraved flat and then bent. It works fine to bend after inlaying as long as the wire is very secure in the undercuts and you anneal before you bend. The first pair of spurs I did like this I did not anneal the silver before bending and while it did not pop out, the inlay broke in about a dozen places in four inches. Because of work hardening that happens when you set the wire, if you are needing to bend something after line inlay make sure you anneal the wire both before and after it is set in the channel.

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Oh my fliipin' word Denny....those spurs are just incredible!!! If you think your engraving isn't all that great think again-it's fantastic! Imagine five years from now and look back at that picture and I can guarantee you'll say "you know what, that was some pretty nice engraving on those".
You file control as the lines head into the star on the rowels is really something-tell me you did use and optivisor to see exactly where you were at any given time so as not to go too far, my eyes ain't what they used to be and without that trick I'd botch it up big time.
Keep posting your work, I find it HIGHLY inspirational and very impressive-from one spur maker to another :)
Paul

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Paul - Thanks so much for the kind words. I have just reached the age where I pick something up to look at it and I have to reach a little farther out. I am not happy about it. So, yes the optivisor is becoming more important.

The process for star on the rowels is as follows: 1. cut the points on the rowels. 2. mark the shape on the rowel you want to leave unfiled (I just use a sharpie). 3. file the rowel valley areas down to the line. 4. cut the shape now adjusting the size a little smaller if you have filed too far in a place or two. I cut the shape with a 120 degree. 5. final engraving inside the shape.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Good Lord, Denny! Those are beautiful! Shows real imagination and dedication. I can't decide which ones I like best. Your silver inlays are flawless and the rowels are pefect. If I owned a pair like that, I'd be too proud of them to ever wear them. I'd probably put em in a glass case or something.

Thanks for the eye candy!

Best,

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Denny,

Thanks for the info on how the rowels were made. I am not familiar with spurs, so I never knew if they were assembled from small pieces or cut and filed from one large piece. Now I have a better appreciation of the amount of time that goes into their fabrication. Well done!

Mark

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Denny
I can spot your spurs on tables at shows because of the rowels. Those spurs are incredible. Thanks for posting.
Rod

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Hi again Denny, thanks for the magic marker trick, I'll use that someday for sure! I attached some pictures of an engraved rowel I made a little while back after seeing one of yours in an earlier post-what a great idea that is and they really make the spur pop! It turned into a scarf slide too at one point:) Thanks again for the idea and the inspiration, that's something you can really run with.
Paul

Attachments

• rowle.jpg
    rowle.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 47
  • rowel-slide.jpg
    rowel-slide.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 46
  • spurs.jpg
    spurs.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 52

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a couple of pairs of spurs that I recently finished. I am still working hard to improve my engraving. Some days it feels like I am making a little progress, other days not so much. I do understand however that the key is just keep pushing forward.

I'd wear those to church. Mighty fancy!

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Denny,
As always, just really beautiful work. I have never had the pleasure of seeing a pair of your spurs in person, but hopefully I will get the chance one day. Pictures just can't do justice to this type of work. I appreciate you taking the time to share with us.

Best wishes,
Stewart

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Denny, I was wondering how you go about annealing the inlayed silver in the spurs? Thanks, Seth

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Seth - Because fine silver anneals so quickly all you have to do is get the temperature up to a dull red. Of course the steel around the channel will also have to get hot and you will get some discoloration. I just use a mico torch for the heat. Therefore, you do have to clean the piece up with sanding or stoning before engraving. After the wire is set in the channel I usually do the filing and scraping; then anneal if it is something that has to be bent latter; then final sanding and polishing; then engraving. I hope that helps. I only bend after inlay for fine line or very small shapes. I have not tried this for larger inlays. - Denny

Latest posts

Sponsors