design assistance requested

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm working on a "K" to go with Sam's floral "C" for my initials- this is my start-any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 119

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cloudy,

I see proportion problems, along with balance and unsmooth arcs.

1. The top proportion of the letter is out of balance and/or proportion with the bottom of the letter.
2. The loop is too bulky and is causing some confusion in identifying the letter. It also is cluttering the letter a bit.
3. Leaf mass and volume should be more equal. also the tendrils on the legs of the letter.

Now here is a drawing to show you structure. There is a principal to follow while drawing letters and once you get the gist of the style, whether it be script or old English etc., it will conform to that principal even though the letters are structured differently.

The drawing shows this principal for script letters.

In the lines left of the K show a system of alignment for script and is followed throughout the alphabet.

The dashes follow a system of parallel situations to give the letter in all of it's parts the proper lean or angle.

Next the balance comes by the distance between the parts of the letter.

This gives you the means of study and understand the elements and how they relate to each other.

If you go about studying and learning this process, the letters are easier to learn.

I then committed the structure of each letter in the alpabet to memory and so I don't have to copy, but can draw them right on the object and go to cutting. I rarely draw outlines of letters unless they are large and complicated like the style you are wishing to do. I get the basic structure by going through the process I described lightly, and then I draw over it so that I maintain proportion etc.

Hope this helps Cloudy.

If you have more questions feel free to ask me.

Ron S

Attachments

• DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors