Thank you Big-Un

jcdoherty

Hi everyone, I'm Jim. I've been lurking and reading a while, trying to teach myself engraving with poor results. I contacted Big-Un "Bill Moody" out of the blue and asked him if he would like to talk engraving over lunch. Mr Moody and his delightful wife Mary were kind enough to meet me for lunch and afterward invited me over to their home. On top of being given the privilege to look at some beautifully engraved items and pictures Mr Moody took the time to properly sharpen my graver and gave me some great tips as I tried it out at his bench.
I felt like family, especially when he went to his personal library and loaned me James Meeks book as well as two GRS videos. Thank you again Mr Moody I'll cover the material and return them to you promptly.

In the short time I've been a member I've seen a number of generous, selfless people on this forum. A lot of class acts! Thanks to those behind the scenes, as well as the members who are so kind with information and help to those of us just starting out in this exciting endeavor.

Wishing you all the best New Year, Jim Doherty

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are quite welcome Jim and thanks for the kind comments. One thing I noticed with your technique; try and not push too deep. Push engraving requires a light hand until the muscles get attuned to the work. Keep drawing and practicing the basic cuts and you will progress well. You may come by any time, just call to be sure I'm here. I may be off with the senior group at church.

Bill

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And, not just speaking for myself,................ might I say with the utmost sincerity, we truly appreciate your appreciation............. This is the greater gift.............. It is a love that transcends the gift. You cannot know how important that is to those who are passing on their hard won experience......................many will take, and never acknowledge the source of their gift.

Everyone here is glad to help with no strings, only the satisfaction that they have helped in some small way, except it isn't small. It is bigger than we often think, as these are pearls created by much sweat, sacrifice, and struggle, and some of them are milestones, mountains that cannot be traversed easily without help.

To leave one helpless in his struggle would be wrong.

I am so very proud to be a part of this fraternity of engravers, old timers and new comers, I cannot express it in words. The gratitude I feel for others carrying that torch of mine and other's lives to future fellow engravers is a most satisfactory honor, and you, our successors, are our vehicle to the future.........We go with you there, a glorious journey to say the least, for when you inspire others to rise, instead of fall, you make another payment toward your eternal existence.

Thank you all, on behalf of myself, and the others here sharing............... Are we not blessed?

I might add that palm gravers were not intended for heavy cuts.

They reflect the finesse of the well disciplined engraver, designed to express in quality, the struggle for perfection by the human hand in co-operation with the mind and spirit.

Forward!

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, I don't think amyone could have put it better ---- you should be a speech writter for a politician or, a public speaker. Many thanks for your words ......

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken,
I would rather be here with the "little people"..............Politicians and lawyers don't rate very high in my book. If you can find an honorable man there among the worldly intellectuals I would be surprised, and not that there aren't some.

Thanks very much anyway, and I appreciate your faith in me. The difference btween me and a politician is I don't have anything to gain, except the joy of seeing my friends doing well, and the honesty and passion of their pursuits.

That is enough for me.

Thanks Ken,

Ron S

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So often we see people take the task of teaching, or passing of knowledge, as a chore. Let us never forget that the teacher's passion is to guide and help his students become better than he. That is the ultimate goal.

Bill

jcdoherty

Thanks guys! I'm really humbled to be here with such great talent. I also realize that myself and all the newcomers are incredibly lucky to have this forum with the members so generous in their knowledge and with their help. I'm sure of one thing, if being inspiring to others is payment towards one's eternal existance, then a lot of you have paid that debt many times over.
You got that right about politicians and lawyers Mr Smith, my sentiments as well.
Thank you Mr Moody, I'll give you a call next week.

Take care all, Jim Doherty

Latest posts

Sponsors