Help adjusting my PePe Block

Hi all,
I have a PePe engraving block and have had problems with it for a while. It started getting a sticky rotation a while back so I thought I would clean and lube it. Now It is worse. I tried to adjust the bearing and race but I guess I can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.
Rick R.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I used to have a pepe block before my GRS.
It had the brass washer with little roller bearings in the bottom of the shaft. I soaked it in wd40 and it worked fine.
See if there is a small bearing on the bottom of the hole in the bottom and give it a try.
Good Luck,
Keith

Mike C

Rick

I had the same problem with my Pepe. Since you mentioned the bearing race I would assume that you have cleaned it and lubricated it. You want to use a very light weight grease like Vaseline. You then need to adjust the center screw on the bottom until you have a couple of thousands of clearance between the upper and lower halves of the block. I also put a light weight grease on the two flat surfaces around the perimeter between the upper and lower halves. After all that it worked fine for a while then went out of adjustment again. After talking to Pepe's tech service I concluded that since there was no way to lock the adjustment screw in position it was basically not well engineered design. Starting over I added a couple of drops of Loctite to the threads of the adjusting screw. So far so good, the adjustment has held. Be sure to use blue Loctite which is designed to release with hand tools.

Mike

rodstan

I had similar problems with my block(don't know the make) but sounds similar.
I put 2 paper shim discs under the bottom ball race to lift the height of the upper half and also skimmed the internal surfaces of the top and bottom halves where they meet. There were still light machining marks that were showing bright rub marks as the top and bottom sections lightly touched.It now spins freely for about 5 seconds, made a huge difference.
Rod

Winstonklein

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Guys . To Open the Famous Pepe Block ,DO you Turn to open (Clockwise) .??

Winston.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I had the similar experiences with Pepe vises and posted a message about them awhile back. It if it were me, I'd ask for my money back unless it's a fast, easy, permanent fix.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is it just me and my child like mind or does anyone else chuckle by the title of this thread???
Sorry, I know it's off topic but I couldn't help myself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors