Glare

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone, hope you had some great holidays!

I have been practicing shading and am having trouble seeing the point of the graver when I set it. The glare is terrible. I am not sure if it is the lighting I am using or what. I have watched videos until I am blue in the face, it looks so easy and you can see the point and the spot it is going to start cutting. When I try it, I will be to far one way or the other and can't get the line where I want it.
Of course I realize that the videos are with a scope, and a scope is not an option for me for a long time to come.
I am using a cool white 48" florescent light (2-40 watt bulbs) 12" above the work, and I have 2 flexible lamps, one on each side of the work but I can't position them at any angle to keep the glare off of the point of the graver. The bulb in the flexible are also cool white florescent light bulbs.
Would anyone reading this have any ideas on what I can do? :(
If you can give me some answers, I am willing to try anything.
Thanks
Carl

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Carl,

I can think of two things to do to help minimize the glare. One is to take a sharpie and color the face of your graver. I prefer the blue color, but any dark color will work. This will allow a large contrast between the rest of the metal and the face so you can get a better idea about where the tip is. The second idea is to take plasticine (regular modeling clay) and roll it into a ball and dab or roll it over the surface you are engraving upon. This will cut the glare quite a bit. Hopefully with the two techniques you will be off and running again! :)

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks so much Tira,
I will try both techniques today.
I had thought about trying black spray paint on the surface and cutting through it, and when finished take it off with thinner, but I have never read anything about covering the surface in a thread.

I will let you know how it comes out after I try it this afternoon.
Thanks again

Carl

Bob Bullard

Elite Cafe Member
I use flat white spray paint on my practice plates and then to take off I soak the
plate in either denatured alcohol or acetone to remove the paint this tip I learned
from Rex. It also helps if you try to draw directly on your plate
Bob

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I have figured out that when I put white shoe polish on my practice plate I also put a dab on my graver. As Hunter would say. "Works for me". Mack

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
try cutting out one of your lights or even change the angles of them

I have tried all angles with the lights, and without one of them and even with them off, just using the 4 foot one.

Thanks to all of you that had input, I will keep trying until I find one of the tricks that helps.
Tira, I tried the blue marker and it seemed to help a little. I am going to get something to eat now and go back and try the modeling clay with the blue marker. Then I will try the paint and the shoe polish, if I have any. By the way, I do draw on the plate.

Thanks
Carl

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also, you can diffuse the light by putting a tracing type paper over them or velum. Don't get the paper or velum too close as it will scorch or melt. This will also cut glare. You could make a wire cage to mount either material on away from the bulb. You can do quick photography with it too, with a little better results than usual.

Use wax and baby powder or talc is another solution. Wax the surface like Tira said, and then dust on the powder. You can draw on that and see your layout good too. Draw on it with a very fine pointed pencil or hard plastic stick (dowel) turned to a very fine point.

If you are doing bulino type work, it looks better on a 400 or 600 grit finish. A high polish will glare at you considerably more that these two finishes and it will kill the detail of fine work.

Hope these suggestions help along with the others.

Ron S

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the valued tips.
Ron I am going to try the light trick today and will let you know the results. All the other tips have improved the glare, maybe this will help even more. Now that I am remembering, I think I read somewhere about the powder.

Ron, I just wanted to say I have your book now, and can't put it down. So much to learn and you did a wonderful job of explaining the art of engraving and scroll drawing. It has already helped me a great deal.
I haven't worked on the drawing any more since the holidays, I have been too busy reading your book.
Great book everyone should have one.
Carl

Latest posts

Sponsors