zippo

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
what do others use when engraving zippo lighters and other hollow items to keep from getting chatter thank you for your help and happy new year to all here on the forum;)

nicglass1

on the zippo's i have messed around with in the past you can make a plug out of thermo-lok for the inside. just heat it up really good and jam it down inside. just leave enough out of the top in order to be able to pry it back out when you are done engraving.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the things that ThermoLoc doesn't stick to is the plastic used to make grocery bags. You could cut a piece of it and center it over the opening before you pack the ThermoLoc into the case so it would come out easier later.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could make plugs for both the top and bottom and then mount a small screw eye in each piece with a matching hole for it to sit in drilled into the other half.

I just leave the lighter inside the case myself, btw. ;)

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How about filling it with Cerrosafe? Provides a good firm backing and melts out at a very low temp.

Dave

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just leave the lighter inside the case myself, btw. ;)

yep me too, I wonder what kind of engraving are you doing to a Zippo that is crushing the case with the engraving work? If you are just doing line engraving, you should'nt need to shim the interior; its not thick enough to do any other kind of engraving.

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
I left mine just as it was and had no problems engraving it, though I did embed the zippo around thermo-loc-worked great :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm ditto with the powley man on that. no need to remove the innards of a zippo. if you're doin h&c , lay down the 20 pounder, and use a chasing hammer !

Latest posts

Sponsors