Neil Hartliep engraved Winchester 21

Brad Hartliep

Hey all, sorry I've been gone so long.

One thing I would like to add, though I'm sure John B. is a lot more qualified to discuss Neil's engraving style, is two stories: My Dad and Uncles used to say that Neil taught himself how to engrave using NAILS - the head of a nail is pretty small and it would probably be a lot easier to hit "Hartliep-style" (Asian-style) than over-hand (although he probably attached the nails to a shaft of wood) ... the other is that I used to sit and watch him engrave, more so in Fairmont than Tucson, and Neil used to tell me it was easier to see his cutting, because the work and the lighting is always between the graver and his eye, as opposed to looking over a fist and possibly a shadow to see the work ... he also used his old potter wheel graving stand so he could turn or hold the work with his feet as he cut with his hands ...

Brad Hartliep

Roger, J.J., John B., Ron, and anybody I may have missed - THANKS for all your wonderful input into this post! Even if the original poster is gone, he or she may have got the information they were seeking - and there are, and will always be, plenty of others, here now and who come along later, who will find the information you provided - and your great works of art - valuable and insightful toward the historical development of modern engraving and the various styles available to an artist with which to experiment ..

Brad Hartliep

Hi Jann! Thank you so much for your memories and if you're ever back in Cherokee, say high to everyone from Neil and Frieda's Family (haven't been back there myself in quite a few years, but my Uncle still goes back regularly). I would love the opportunity to meet you and your family and see that Browning or maybe get some detailed pictures of Neil's work and some of your dad's history for posterity. I am often in Tucson and Benson area and just a skip from Tombstone if you and your son-in-law want to meet sometime ...

ENGRAVERS, FFLs and Gun Owners: I am venturing to collect as much info as possible - through photos, personal stories, and FFL transactions - on the history of as many of Neil Hartliep's Guns as I can locate - photos of the guns, detail photos or lifts of his engravings, when were they engraved, who were they engraved for, where did they go, when were they sold, who owns them now, have they been lost or stolen or destroyed ... sort of follow each of the guns through their lives from Neil's hands to the present and also try to get a feel for the development of Neil's style through the decades ... if anyone has a Neil Hartliep Engraving and would like to participate please contact me (all personal info you don't wish to reveal will be kept strictly private and confidential) ... thx

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
The late Neil Hartliep was born in Iowa and raised on a farm. He was a self taught engraver who began his engraving experience in 1948 and simultaneously owned and operated a sporting goods store in Cherokee, Iowa. In 1953 he sold his retail business and began work as the manager of the chamber of commerce which gave him more time to engrave.

In 1964, Neil became a full time engraver, By 1979 he had become a guest instructor of gun engraving at Trinadad State College. He also wrote a book of instruction for beginning engravers which is still in print. I first met Neil in the late 70's while he was working at the Grand American trapshoot in Vandalia, Ohio and I would subsequently visit with him annually at the grand for years afterward.

I, unfortunatly do not have his date of birth or death though I am aware that he passed away quite a while ago. You can probably find this information through the Firearms Engravers Guild of America or perhaps the guild president, Rex Pederson will see this thread and provide that information.

A more complete biography with photos of Neil and his works can be found in my book "American Engravers." The book is long out of print but is occasionally found on eBay and is in many libraries.

Neil was a fine gentleman and was well liked by others in the trade. He was always helpful to beginning engravers and mentored many including his son Glen who also became an accomplished engraver.

CRB

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?browse=0&keyword=roger+bleile&mtype=B&hs.x=26&hs.y=20&hs=Submit

There appear to be 4 copies available on Alibris, including 2 listed as 'new'. Hope somebody just bought them and held onto them, and that they aren't illegal reprints!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have posted below a picture of a Winchester model 12 SN: 1596056 engraved by Neil Hartliep. I have also posted images of a Ljutic trap gun engraved by Neil's son Glenn.

Attachments

• Ljutic-Glenn Hartleip eng-L.jpg
    Ljutic-Glenn Hartleip eng-L.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 191
  • #1596056-Neil Hartleip eng-L.jpg
    #1596056-Neil Hartleip eng-L.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Ljutic-Glenn Hartleip eng-R.jpg
    Ljutic-Glenn Hartleip eng-R.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 192
  • #1596056-Neil Hartleip eng-R.jpg
    #1596056-Neil Hartleip eng-R.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 190

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Neil Hartliep's signature

Below is a picture of Neil Hartliep's engraved signature on a model 42 Winchester shotgun.

Attachments

• 42-5-gold #95267- Neil Hartliep eng-sig.jpg
    42-5-gold #95267- Neil Hartliep eng-sig.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 173

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Roger and Ron,

I believe the Asian method, engraving towards yourself, came about because many early engravers in those countries sat at ground level and held or turned the work with their feet.
Many bowls, jugs and vases were engraved or repoussed in this manner in India, China and also Japan.
There are several pictures showing this method in the late and great Oppi Untracht fine book "Metal Techniques for Craftsmen."
Because of copyright I can not scan and post an example picture but this book should be available at the library.
It was published by Doubleday and this is the ISBN 0-385-03027-4 if you are interested.
Great book and full of useful information on so many areas of metalworking.

Neil told me that he got the idea for a foot bench from watching a potter at work.
I have had and used a foot bench for many years and still use it for many things.
It works like an extra set of hands when doing inlay. Especially scroll or lettering.
And is a great aid in H&C work when cutting scroll either Asian style or European side hand.

Best regards, John B.

i have a spiral bound book by NRA with Neil as the author. It covers h&c engraving , the "potters vise" and sharpening its a great aid for the self taught h & C guys. gotta guess its out of print now.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
In reference to the '09 posts, my bud, Larry Hopewell, was a factory Weatherby engraver who still uses the Japenese technique.
It's fascinating to watch him chuck up a complete rifle in his Magnablock and chip away, stock and all! Larry gave me some of his Japenese chisels, which he says are made of some of the best steel ever for engraving. Unfortunately they are no longer made.
Larry now lives in Harper, Texas.

Bgsprkee

I purchased a Ljutic TC Mono Trapgun 2 years ago had was informed that the gun was engraved by Neil Hartman,but then have read some articles that his son Glen possibly could have engraved it also . I've had many compliments from shooters seeing my gun and very proud I own it . Would love to confirm the engrave ,weather Neil or Glen

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors