How to Deal with an Obstruction

wpur

Newbie request for assistance - I'm attempting to engrave a scroll pattern close to a vertical obstruction (obstruction is the plate behind the cylinder on the left side of a revolver frame. Proper name escapes me at the moment). The plate limits me to something less than 180 degrees to approach the work with the graver and I'm unable to engrave the tips of leaves close to the obstruction. Sorry, I'm sure this description is clear as mud. Any suggestions for engraving close to obstructions?

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
reversing the cuts, very high heel angles, creating a design that does not require cutting away from a raised obstruction

PS: I think you mean the recoil shield?

Andrew Biggs

To add to what Scott has just said.......

You sometimes also have to alter the top of the graver by grinding it down very small so it dosn't get in the way. Basically do anything and everything to the graver to get into the area that you need to. Plus cut from whatever direction the space allows. Sometimes the cuts may only be a couple of mm at a time from all directions depending on the design.

If all else fails............ a couple of choice swear words will do the trick as well :)

Cheers
Andrew

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I fully concur with Scott and Andrew. Gun engravers must be able to start a cut in one direction, stop it then come from the other direction and make it look like a continuous cut. These obstructions are quite common on guns, especially revolvers and along with a multitude of other problems like very hard steel are what separates gun engravers from those who are able to do most of their work on flat, unhardened subjects like dies, coins, and knives. That is why I have always said "if you can engrave a gun you can engrave anything."

CRB

nicglass1

my great grand father engraved a few guns, and i inherited most of his tools. he had a few gravers that were alted QUITE a bit into almost a "C" shape. the kind of shaping used for spoons and inside of rings, but more exagerated. the only thing i can think he might have used these for was for getting up and over pins and other obstructions and down into tight spots.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I try not to design myself into that situation but sometimes...well, stuff happens. When all else fails I will use a carbide scribe and scratch the last small amount of line needed, after using the above methods, going over it several times to get some depth. Do this on a practice plate first. It works but tends to grey hair rapidly. TOS

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Main thing........
PLAN AHEAD.....!!

Everytime I don't follow that rule.....
I invent new words to the English Language....and scare all the critters out of the neighborhood... :)

Latest posts

Sponsors