Who is going to Reno?

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Awe shucks Brian, I figured cause I didn't make it this summer (as I said I would), that I missed out on the invitation. I'll come out that way. I don't know what fate lies ahead for "My Ol' Lady" but I might have to let her go to finance my Winchester project.

I have a deep feeling that I will regret not going to Reno this year. The History Channel sez (over and over) that we have until 2012 before the end of the world :rolleyes: which means I gotta get my butt in gear. I'll have a project ready which shouldn't disappoint.

I know there are some cheap flights but I would prefer a covered wagon rather than surrender my cookies and big bottle of a non-volatile/inert & tasty beverage of my choosing before the strip search by the Ministry of Homeland Security goons. Happens every time ... at 260 pounds with combat boots and my best cutoff t-shirt, I provide a golden opportunity for them to "appear" busy.

I'll catch ya later. I see someone posted that one of your rifles got published .... congrats!!

Chris

btw ... Diane sez "Use this at your own risk". I can see myself now .... surrounded by MP5s while fluttering on the floor from the taser hit. "Don't taze me bro!! ... it's just my dirty laundry :)"

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have heard from several folks that the best way to get your luggage there on time and unscathed is to carry a firearm. You get specially screened by the TSA folks and then you get to lock your luggage. They make certain that your luggage gets on the plane and gets to you when you get off.

Of course, I haven't flown since sometime in the 1990's - like Chris I'm loathe to put up with all the other annoyances just to make myself a target of opportunity for someone trying to look competent.

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
just dropped some family at the reno airport this morning, and saw an ad for the fega show, just outside of security. picture of an engraved lever-action, a little pixelated at poster size, but very nice irregardless.

looking forward to the show...

gary

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would venture a guess that it would be Ron Smiths rifle pictured. It doesnt get any better that that one. I'll look for it as I get off the plane Tues evening.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,
I'm guessing (and only guessing) the picture is of this year's raffle gun which is a low wall Winchester. I could be wrong but that is usually what they use.

Andrew Biggs

Here's a heads up for anyone travelling to the USA from overseas.
It's very lucky that I found this out today from my travel agent or it could have been a bit of a disaster coming to Reno.

This is effective from January 12th 2009

New Zealand and a few other countries are a part of the "Visa Waiver Programme". This means we are considered low risk countries and low security so we don't need a Visa to get into the USA for a visit under 90 days.

As of January the 12th as an added security feature required by Homeland Security you have to get a travel authorisation number from their web site at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

It's an on line form that requires some personal information, passport etc etc. Very similar to the cards you fill out on the plane. The process takes about 15 minutes to fill out and they suggest that you do it 72 hours before your departure. Mine was approved instantley but there can be delays for some people.

You need this number or you may be refused entry at the border of the USA.

I would highly recommend that any of the members on the forum travelling to the USA from a country with a Visa Waiver Programme visit their local travel agent and see if this requirement applies to them.

Cheers
Andrew

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Good catch, Andrew.
Now we know why you get the big bucks as a Moderator of the Cafe. HA HA.

Sure hope all our overseas attendee's to the Safari and Fega/ Custom Gunmaker's show see your message.
Can you picture arriving after a long flight and being refused entry at the border?
Not a pretty picture.

Best, John B.

Andrew Biggs

Well, I'm starting my long journey to Reno in about half an hour or so.

Really looking forward to catching up with old friends and making new ones.

If you havn't met me before please introduce yourself to me. I'll be the middle aged balding guy with the funny accent........wait a minute........I've just decribed half the people at the show!!! :)

See you guys and gals there

Cheers
Andrew

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are flying in from outside of the U.S., you must carry your passport.

Sponsors