onglette heels

mark 36

i got an onglette from grs for xmas. I was wondering do oyu have to put a heel on it or is it ready to use>>
Would it be a 15 degree heel or what degree??

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mark

Yes, you still need a heel of some sort. The degree depends on you. 15 degrees is the universal angle but if you find that a bit uncomfortable try raising it a bit to 17 degrees to allow for your fingers. Don't be afraid to experiment a bit.

Your tools are a personal thing, so what works for me may not work for you. Try and tailor make them for your own hands and working style.

You can sharpen ongletts in a holder (See Mike McCrellies thread) or by hand. (Actually it should be Mike Cirelli)

If you have the "Art of Engraving" book by Meeks he shows you how to sharpen by hand in the book. It's not something I can explain unfortunatley. I believe that GRS on their web site also explain it with a picture http://www.grstools.com/PDFs/GRS/LIT181DualAngleSharp.pdf

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK now this will mess things up for you.
At the Grand Masters class Alain Lovenberg had Mike Dubber and myself try engraving some minute lines with an ongelette that had no heel. It cut real smooth but then again we were just scratching the surface.
I usually put a heel on mine and do it by hand and eyeball.
Marty

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mike

That's the New Zealand way to spell it!!!! :D

Yip, that's pretty bad even by my standards...........What can I say............I'm a signwriter (That's a sign painter in Americanese) and we are especially trained in the fine art of bad spelling :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers :)
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mike

That's the New Zealand way to spell it!!!! :D

Yip, that's pretty bad even by my standards...........What can I say............I'm a signwriter (That's a sign painter in Americanese) and we are especially trained in the fine art of bad spelling :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers :)
Andrew

But at least you (apparently) skipped the lessons on apostrophe sprinking. In the U.S. its' one of the biggest fad's to use apostrophe's incorrectly.

Latest posts

Sponsors