a knives engraving

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
hello all,
here is some pic from an knive i'm working on.
You can see too the only tools i had used to do the work, only the optivisor is not on the pic, it's a N°7. I dont use my 10X magnificient this time because te price is low so the quality ...
happy new year to all
cheers
pierre

Attachments

• couteau 003.jpg
    couteau 003.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 213
  • couteau 008.jpg
    couteau 008.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 201
  • couteau 016.jpg
    couteau 016.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 236
  • couteau 020.jpg
    couteau 020.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 224
  • couteau 021.jpg
    couteau 021.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 260
  • couteau 022.jpg
    couteau 022.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 217

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pierre,

There is nothing "low" about your engraving or design on this knife. It is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the pictures.

Roger

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That knife is great. Thanks for posting, and also showing the tools. It's important to see how little one can use to accomplish such a task. I have enough gadgets and widgets to send a man to the moon, yet I couldn't make that knife look as good as you. Seth

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Bravo Pierre

This is a beautiful one :)

Your photo with the tools around the knife is very nice too

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
That's interesting that you did the background before the shading. Is that how it is usually done?
Also you did the engraving before the handles are put on, Doesn't that make it hard to fit the handles without damaging the engraving? That is beautiful by the way !

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I dont use my 10X magnificient this time because te price is low so the quality ...

...is extremely high but I did a simpler design?

And by 'simpler' I mean 'simpler for someone of my expertise' since for a newbie like me that would be quite a proud accomplishment.

We should bookmark this thread for any time a tool war thread comes up.

eisman

Very nice. I too wondered about the final fitting of the scales (handles). How does one eliminate, or minimize, the damage to the engraving during the final polishing (after fixing them in place)? And has the blade been tempered already, or will it be done after the engraving? I ask because 55-60 rc is pretty hard to be engraving by hand.

I really like the work on the spine!

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Pierre, That looks great. Thanks for showing your work. I am a little curios about steel type and heat treat or hardness also? LOVE YOUR WORK!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The design is exceptionally nice. Thanks for posting it.

I hope to see it when it is completed.

Peter

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Knife engraving

Pierre, you can do your low price so the quality engraving on my knives any time you want, very nice work. I would think the maker has the scales fit so he need only do a minimum of work to them. I hand finish all my knives and never buff the steel, I tape it off with electoral tape and only buff the handal material. Here are two knives I have just finished, the one with the alabone handle is a copy of a Micheal Price made in San Francisco in 1850- 1860, the outher is of the same style but is done in ivory and the sheath is not finished. I am going to bring it to the Reno show and see if I can get someone to engrave it in the style of that time. Happy New Year

Attachments

• P1010107.jpg
    P1010107.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010108.jpg
    P1010108.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 81

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Knife engraving

Good day Pierre,
Good job and well done, I like the style and the design. Keep up the good work and more pictures of your work is always welcome.

Happy new Year

Cheers

"VAN"

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
firstable,thanks for your comments.
secundable, Mack,we always take background before shading or sculpting, you have a method of way to do it with the drawing of the tools.
thirstable, Eisman and Douglas, i dont know the alloy of the knive but, it doesn't rust and it's hard to cut it's why i use a nylon hammer, the energy of the hit stay in the hammer head and my steel point dont break every times.
i can't put gold before heat treatment because the heating is upper than the gold fusion heat.
after the treatment,the knive is extremely hard and it's impossible to engrave.
have a good day

Attachments

• couteau 025.jpg
    couteau 025.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 69
  • couteau 026.jpg
    couteau 026.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Sponsors