help going crazy

dscott

Ok i got a set of gravers for christmas so excited. was told they needed to be sharpened on a tight budget need help on a way to do this please HELP
Thanks
David

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
i got a copy of th lynton mckenzie

when i ordered my gravers,i got the lynton mckenzie videos from brownells,the beginning engraving tape has shapening by hand.it was a struggle for sure but i got eventually.i decided from the beginning to do the old ways,hammer&chisle and push gravers.but i think in the long run it will have been worth it.i can sharpen graver now in less yime than in shrpening jig,mike p.s. if you want to use a jig,i have a couple of sharpeners for sale in the buy and sell section.they are new,not used. wishing the best for you!mike

catnip

sharpening

I've just started myself. I bought a crocker type sharpener, but found it a bit fiddely to use. it is an improvment on my sharpening by hand, but looking at the tutorials here, I think it may have been a mistake. As you will see; the dual angle fixture sharpener is a lot more expensive, but in the long run, a much better choice. if read the tutorial, you will see what I mean. I know what I will be getting for my birthday, if I'm lucky. regards tony

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have the standard GRS sharpener, and the dual angle, and probably need the quick change, to go with my power hone. I think the set up i have is great, but a cheaper ir the Lindsay template and stones. If you can only afford one, that would be the most affordable means to reproduce consistent angles and sharpness.
I downloaded the Lindsay copyrighted template angles, and found them to be virtually the same as Sam Alfano taught us in class. The difference was the parallel heels, which I was able to reproduce on the dual angle with a little playing around.
Either method is great, but you need to reproduce the same angles and sharpness on a consistent basis. Lindsay is more affordable, but less creative. You are locked into the same angles with less ability to adjust as needed. Pick one and it will work.
They are both much better than my Crocker.
Will

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I first tried grinding gravers from square stock, I would set my Crocker to 45 degrees on the stone using a protractor with a movable arm. Same with the 15 degrees. This proved tedious, so I took my chop saw and cut wood blocks at those angles to use on my belt sander.

Once your graver is already shaped, why couldn't you use the same method to touch them up on the fine stone? Just lay the graver on the block and rub it across the stone a bit. Essentially, this would be the same thing that the Lindsay is doing, isn't it? Your stones are so fine, it would take a lifetime to destroy the wood.

Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ah, i am a fan of the old ways. push graving- that is. i do love it ! but the power toys are faster. but the modern methods of tool sharpening are proven superior to any of the old ways, with the exception of cost. the new ways permit absolute repeatable tool geometry. this is especially desirable for a newbie who is not sure of what they are doing in the first place. the sharpening devices eliminate unknown variables. my first choice of of any thing a newbie should purchase is a " sharpening system" based on diamond. the diamond material lasts a very long time, and does a better than good job on gravers.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
dave:your method will certainly work, to a degree. if we were to take similar 1/16" gravers and agree on a given geometry, and proceed till finished. you might, i said might finish before me. but, let us now look at our results , say at 50x magnification. no doubt in my mind who will win this one. i've performed this test myself. i have home brewed sharpening and store-bought. store-bought wins, every time ! the only exception is those who happen to be machinists who can create the "hi-tech" systems on their own.

Latest posts

Sponsors