Transfer discovery

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Ive been using transparancy sheets that are clear and smooth on both sides. I just read in a thread by Mike that he is using sheets with a tooth or rough side. Not knowing where to get these, I took some 400 grit sandpaper and sanded one side of mine and printed on that side. It works. Now the ink dries quickly and transfers well. Do I get a gold star for this discovery? Well, maybe an attaboy? Mack

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of these days somebody is gonna sit down and count how many ways there are to skin a cat, there sure are a bunch of em' ain't there?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Or someone could do the "Big Book of Transfer Methods", starting from the simple pencil & wax and working all the way up through laser etching.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
I also found out today by experimentation that not all damar varnish is created equal. The recipe is for 80/20 as I understand it. That must be for a lot thicker version. It didn't give me a very clear transfer. Mine came from Michaels and was very thin when I got it. I tried it full strength and Wow what a difference. It is perfect just as it is. I think I am getting the hang of some of this stuff. What fun !!

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Mack, that was a stroke of genius with the sandpaper. I was having a similar issue with the ink never drying, and I just figured that I had to be real careful, and placement was very touch and go. I am learning that a big part of being an engraver is improvising tools and adapting techniques. It makes engraving a very dynamic artform. : D

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
One of these days somebody is gonna sit down and count how many ways there are to skin a cat, there sure are a bunch of em' ain't there?

Its one of those times when its good not to be a cat.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, mack- don't forget to steal some of your wifes' parchment paper she bakes with. that will work too. now all i gotta do is start sandblasting some of my sheets ! just one more thing to keep me away from judge judy! my wife already thinks i'm nuts !