Tool steel?

catnip

I have only recently (couple of weeks) sort out my old gravers; after a broken apprenticeship in 1969. (I know now, why I kept them). What I have found is that a lot of you guys engrave steel mainly. what I see is facinating and beautiful. During the time I spent in 1969 (a short time. He gave me a hard time, but I can't get in to that, other than I still feel disapointed) the engraver I was apprenticed to, only ever wriggle cut stainless steel and to be honest, I wasn't very impressed with the results. So to my question. Has the tool steel used for gravers, improved in all that time. I'm finding it a lot easier to re-shape my old gravers, than the new ones I have recently bought? which makes me wonder if that was the reason he chose to wriggle cut steel. incidently, I'm gaining a lot more knowledge from the cafe, than I ever did in 1969. Thaks to everyone and have a happy new year. Tony

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Graver steels have improved, yes. High speed steel (HSS) gravers are the standard now, and there are some excellent carbide gravers which can be used in precious metals as well as steel. Tool steel gravers, as far as I know, aren't used by the engravers I know, with the exception of liners which are difficult (but not impossible) to make from HSS.

I'm happy to hear that the Cafe is fulfilling its mission for you, Tony!

Cheers / ~Sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
he probably found the wriggle far easier to control on the ss, than any of the other type cuts. just a guess.