Silver Dollar Carving Anyone??

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
If there is a interest in carving a morgan dollar let me know and I,ll post five steps in carving one, We could have more then five steps in carving one, but I think five will allow you to carve one...In the picture below is the first and maybe the hardest step in carving a morgan dollar and that is removing wheat from original subject between letters and removing raised metal and designing top of hat or cap while keeping the field level or mint-like..This was a 1921 xf morgan dollar I brought off of ebay..I,m thinking this carving,s subject will end up being a cajun subject, but I may change my mind..[ps] My main tools so far in carving this coin has been a #36 flat[ no heel ], a #42 flat [ no heel ], I did cut the bottom of the hat brim with my airtact..Depending on how fast you are and how well designed you want this carving, it,ll take you from 8 to 15 hours to complete it..
#2 step and picture #2....I,ve now refined the hat and hat band and have started to sand the field with a gesswein sanding stick..
#3 and picture #3.....I,ve now removed metal and carved a new nose area, lowered mouth and changed the jaw line...[ ps ] I may change my mind and recut the lower jaw and put a beard on this subject, this can be tricky to do as I,ll have to form a beard in the field of the coin..
#4 step and picture #4....I,m now using my airtact to cut the hair, add hair on forehead, stippled hat with stipple tool..I also removed a portion of the original hair from bottom right of subject to give the hat brim a more defined look..I,m still not sure if Im going to cut a beard on subject...
#5 step and #5 picture...Decided to put a beard on subject, The coin is now ready to be sanded down with a 600 grit sanding stick, burished again, sandblasted and aged out..
#6 step and #6 picture..I,ve checked for scratches , sandblasted coin, aged it out and it,s now ready for a coin carving collector..

Attachments

• MVC-125F.JPG
    MVC-125F.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 100
  • MVC-126F.JPG
    MVC-126F.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 90
  • MVC-127F.JPG
    MVC-127F.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 45
  • MVC-128F.JPG
    MVC-128F.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 42
  • MVC-129F.JPG
    MVC-129F.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 20
  • MVC-132F.JPG
    MVC-132F.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Bill,
sign me up
i will have to buy a Morgan dollar tho
I really loved your last tutorial and am looking forward to this one
Dave

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I,ll post the steps by adding pictures and what I did to coin on thread #1 as the carving develops..

Latest posts

Sponsors